Controller input troubles

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Controller input troubles

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2010) [#1]
The other day I bought a plug-in gamepad controller thats built in the layout of an xbox360 controller with anolog sticks and everything, and I was reading the Blitz3d programming manual book about joystick input.

After reading and learning about the functions, I made a little program so I can test it out before I put it into my bigger project.

The problem is that it doesn't seen to work and I don't know why. I checked and tested my controller and it works fine, but I don't know why the controls don't work.

This was the little program I made to test it out.

Can someone explain to me why it may not be working?

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#2]
You're using JoyDown wrong. Take a look at the documentation:

; JoyDown Example

; Until user presses ESC, show the mouse button pressed
While Not KeyHit(1)
button$="No"
For t = 1 To 5
If JoyDown(t) Then button$=Str(t)
Print button$ + " joystick button pressed!"
Next
Wend

Also, your joystick is on port 2? If not, you shouldn't be using "GetJoy(2)" either. Just press F1 twice over any word - GetJoy or JoyDown in this case to see a small help about the command, alongside with a sample program (The sample above appears for JoyDown)

Check also JoyType - you should check it's return value not just write "JoyType(2)".

Last edited 2010

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2010) [#3]
SLotman
The main problem I had was with getting the analog stick to work. Does the analog work the same even with joydown, or does that work with just buttons? I really need to get the analog stick to work and i'm still not understanding the joystick functions very well.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#4]
Read the documentation and look at the sample code - it is pretty helpful - there are many examples of joyx/y/z commands.

Joydown is simply used for the buttons on the joystick.

Joy x/y/z/roll/pitch/yaw are sometimes used for a joypad - depends on brand, and whether 'analog' mode is enabled etc...you will need to play around with it.

Warner(Posted 2010) [#5]
Yes, you are passing 203/205/200/208 as joystick buttons. That could be okay, if your joystick has more than 200 buttons. But I think these numbers should be more in the range of 0 to 3. Or perhaps 1 to 4 .. it's been a while. But not 200+.