Blitz3D on Vista/Win7

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz3D on Vista/Win7

mv333(Posted 2010) [#1]
1) What is it about Blitz3D that causes problems on these 2 operating systems? Is it the 3d commands?

2) In the "Blitz3D Bug Reports" forum, some folks say the have problems with "sprites" on Vista/Win7. I'm guessing that's sprites in 3d only, correct?

3) If i'm making a game using only the 2d commands, will that cause any problems on Vista/Win7? I'm using XP right now.

Thanks.

Yasha(Posted 2010) [#2]
Couldn't say for sure about 1 and 3 (don't think there's a problem in those areas), but as for question 2, "sprites" in the context of Blitz3D are a specific class of 3D entity and as far as I'm aware the issue doesn't affect any other 3D matters like regular mesh quads. It's certainly nothing to do with the builtin 2D engine, and I think also shouldn't affect 2D-in-3D engines as long as they use meshes instead of B3D sprites (such as the wonderful Draw3D library by Hectic).

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#3]
1) Depends on the program. First and foremost the game programmer needs to follow the microsoft conventions on where to store their data files, or you're going to run into access denied errors when trying to create things like configuration files, save games and highscore tables.
If the programmer doesn't do proper error checking, that can break things.
With older windows versions you were able to get away with alternate locations easily, but thanks to UAC that's no longer the case on Vista / Windows 7.

Another potential problem is that B3D uses DirectX 7, which is emulated through a software translation layer on Vista and windows 7... Everything will work just fine on the vast majority of computers, but there's always the potential for issues cropping up for some people since there's an additional layer of stuff to go through.

Rroff(Posted 2010) [#4]
I've had no problems with my B3D stuff on Win 7 64bit and I'm using a pretty complicated setup - tho my sprites are done through a single surface system and not the built in sprite commands.

My menu system uses 2D commands quite extensively with some tricks to speed up rendering and works fine on win 7 too.

UAC hasn't caused me any significant problems so far but I am implementing user paths for future useage.

Virtech(Posted 2010) [#5]
I've had no problems either with blitz on win7 64bit besides the sprite problem, which im sure Mark will adress sooner rather than later.

On some occasion a blitz app wont start on my os... It has something to do with the Aero theme. Switching to basic win7 theme solves the problem.