Version Control for Blitz3D?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Version Control for Blitz3D?

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2010) [#1]
I'm just wondering what people are doing for version control with Blitz3D. I basically create a directory for each new program, and a subdirectory called Archives. When I remember to I create a directory in Archives named for the date ("2010-09-20") and dump a copy of everything into that directory. Of course I have to deselect the Archives directory itself before copying!

Is there a better way? Has anyone been able to use a tool like Subversion with Blitz3d? I use Ideal, if that's relevant.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

-Pete

lo-tekk(Posted 2010) [#2]
I am using Tortoise SVN for several years now. I am quite satisfied. You can even log in to public subversion servers from your windows explorer. But there might be better options. Try it out, it's free. http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

Cheers lo-tekk

Xaron(Posted 2010) [#3]
I use Perforce. It's free as well and much more comfortable than SVN. ;)

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#4]
smartsvn for the win ... solves the major problems svn has by detecting moves as well as handling adding and removal for you.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2010) [#5]
Aha! So people are indeed using version control with Blitz3d. And so far three different flavors. For some reason I always assumed everybody just did without as I do currently. A lot of indie programmers wouldn't even know what version control is since it is more a "workplace" solution in general, or something taught in school. I was surprised to learn that these tools can be free and used locally and with Blitz3d.

Now, both TortoiseSVN and SmartSVN seem to require SVN as a separate install, on the same or a different computer. Or, I'm told, you can connect them to Google Code, right? (Limitation: Can you still work if the network is down?)

I notice SmartSVN charges $79 for the Pro edition, the Foundation is free. Which do you use Dreamora? Is the Foundation better than the TortoiseSVN or Perforce?

Perforce seems more like a turnkey solution. Just install and go. Is that right?

Thanks so much for the input so far, any others? Criticisms of these?

Anyone else not using anything, like me?

This may become a sort of Blitz version control FAQ, which would be useful to many I would think.

Leon Drake(Posted 2010) [#6]
i use Unfuddle's project hosting for my B3d projects using SVN

Fernhout(Posted 2010) [#7]
I use an IDE Ideal and that one have a build in backup system.
Its a good working backup. You can choos how many backups you want to have. And it backup everytime i test the program so when my code is totaly screwed up is can always step back.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2010) [#8]
Leon: Forgive my ignorance; are you using SVN locally to connect to the Unfuddle repository? Are you just using SVN straight or with a tool like Tortoise or SmartSVN?

Fern: Yeah, me too. That's why I'm looking for something more sophisticated. The problem with that is that even if I set it to 10 or more backups, I'll still blow through that in a few minutes. I really want it to archive versions when I want it to, or on a schedule, something like that. And I don't want to worry about it going away just because a certain number of saves has gone by, I want it kept in a permanent archive.

Also, these tools can follow an automated version numbering/build numbering system which, if nothing else, looks very professional :-)

Keep 'em coming, folks... this is good stuff.

Xaron(Posted 2010) [#9]
Perforce seems more like a turnkey solution. Just install and go. Is that right?

That's right. You have to install the server and the client. It's a bit different if you already know SVN but it's very, very powerful.

What I absolutely don't like about SVN is that it uses hidden folders in every folder of the project. Perforce is very, very stable and comes with nice merge/diff and other tools.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2010) [#10]
Cool. Can anyone think of any advantages to SVN vs. Perforce?

Example: Can you just use the Perforce client and point it to an online repository as with SVN clients?

Xaron(Posted 2010) [#11]
Yes. Of course you must point it to a Perforce repository. Just try it, install it. Personally I won't ever use anything else (and I've used SVN in the past).

But if you like SVN more, go ahead, it's also a very good solution.