Reducing polygons.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Reducing polygons.

Yue(Posted 2010) [#1]

4500 Polys.
Hello, I need to know if it is possible to improve this. The automobile initially has 28 thousand polygons, but I have used a differential of polygons and in the engine it stays this way.

28.000 Polys.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#2]
Automatically, I don't know, but i could reduce that model to around 4000 polys, with some work. Seems like the function you've used to reduce the polygons, is detecting the edges and trying to round them. There are so many factors in reducing polygon count, an automatic solution, in my experience, doesn't work very well at all. It usually ends up detroying the detail you want to keep, and leaving the parts you don't...

Leon Drake(Posted 2010) [#3]
if you have 3dsmax you could try using a multires modifier on it and reduct the polycount. Or find a really good LOD function.

dawlane(Posted 2010) [#4]
I think this should have been in General help.
As Ross C says automatic poly reduction solutions don't work very well. You could use a combination of automatic and manual methods or if you use modelling software that supports a snap to point/poly/edge function. Then you could do another model using the topology of the original. Of course you would then have to redo the UV's.

puki(Posted 2010) [#5]
I generally hand remove polys from models to make LOD versions. I just load them up in Deep Exploration and delete them.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2010) [#6]
Puki,

Deep Exploration looks interesting. What version do you use? How is it easier to deal with individual verts in Deep Exploration than, say, Blender? (Or is DE just the one that you happen to use...)

-Pete