light affects character but not the land

the land mesh is:
texture splattered/tiled using fastext
4 tiles
3 alphas
test lightmap

can any one tell me whats going on

Stevie G(Posted 2010) [#2]
You must have the fullbright flag set in the brushfx or entityfx properties.

scribbla(Posted 2010) [#3]
yeh i played about with entityfx, no joy :(

turning entityfx to full bright, will just keep the mesh full bright uneffected by lights

there are no brushes, tiled textures

....so im thinking any lighting effects will have to be baked on a large texture, but then flashes from explosions/lights wont affect the land mesh

so im thinking its something to do with splatting & FastExt

Adam Novagen(Posted 2010) [#4]
Quick question, is the land a Terrain or a mesh? Because if it's a Terrain, you'll need to use TerrainShading True, as Terrains are not shaded by default.

scribbla(Posted 2010) [#5]
a mesh,

textured
4 tiles/texture with 3 alpha/textures

even entitycolor doesnt affect the land mesh, i just wanted to know is this normal, and their are tricks you use to add light effects to the mesh,

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#6]
You may need to extract all the entities from the parent entity. It may be a hierarchical structure, where by you have an entity, with child entities. Unless you find the child entities and assign them to variables:

count = countchildren(terrain_entity)
mesh1 = findchild(terrain_entity,1)

then try the entityfx flag on each entity.

scribbla(Posted 2010) [#7]
the land mesh isnt parented to anything

but still is unaffected by lights or ambi,

i think it something to do with splatting, not sure

it was only when i was testing a few textures to see how they went together that i noticed the land was unaffected by the scene lights, even the verts and entity color have no effect

i guess the light map will have to deal with that, but what to do about gun/explosion or vehicle lights flashes affecting its surrounding ;(

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#8]
You personally mioght not have parented anything, but modellers exproting to blitz3d format, sometimes will build a parented mesh structure of their own. The easiest way is to load your entity, then do the CountChildren command on it.

scribbla(Posted 2010) [#9]
it was worth a try Ross, but count children returns 0

ive been playing and found out the lights only affect the first texture layer, in this pic i set light and ambi to red

lights set to red

damn that means splatting as far as i can figure screws up the lights, there must be something that can be done surely,
there must be some trick like use a sprite as a light effect or some other weird trick type thingy.
say you have a grenade go off and you want to light the surrounding area a little

#edit
apparently it can not be done

@Mike0101:
It is impossible (as far as I know) to use FE_ALPHACURRENT blend simultaneously with vertex colors. Please, use lightmaps!

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=87482

John Blackledge(Posted 2010) [#10]
Scribbla, I feel your pain (-I can hear the screams!).
I'm guessing that 'splatting' is regional layering (?).
Damn - this layer 1 problem must be inherent in DX7.
Do let us know if you find a solution.
I've been looking forward to this game since you showed me 5 years ago.

scribbla(Posted 2010) [#11]
I've been looking forward to this game since you showed me 5 years ago.

dont hold ya breath on that one John ;)

me being of simple mind, i thought thats it, splatting equals no lights, but its just a blitz3d thing i think , shame