Load3DSound

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Load3DSound

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#1]
The docs are a little lacking here.
Can all the same formats as for LoadSound (WAV, OGG, MP3 RAW) be used?

What about others? XM for example?

From what I have gleaned from these forums at least other import information is:

1) Sounds must be Mono (makes sense)
2) hrm.. that's it, So what else is important?

Rroff(Posted 2010) [#2]
For best quality, performance and compatibility you probably want to be using PCM Wave 16bit at either 22.5KHz or 44.1KHz - obviously mono.

XM are usually stereo and sample based so even if it worked there would probably be quite a bit of overhead.

If you need to save space Ogg may work ok tho I've not tried it.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#3]
XM and the other 'tracker modules' can only be loaded with playmusic, not loadsound as far as I can remember.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#4]
Thanks Matty, I never actuially knew what XM files were, aside from the fact many old Playstation 1 games seem to use them a lot ;)

I've been able to test a few, so far the following have worked:

wav
mp3
wma
ogg

These formats have not worked:

raw / snd
aif (f or c)

Incidentally, EmitSound does not crash the program when these "invalid" formats are used. The Loaded sound handle returns as 0, but the problem executes and compiles without issue.

Still To Test:

s3m - Expect to fail
it - Expect to fail
rmi - Expect to fail
mp2 - Expect to succeed
cda - Expect to fail, - this one 'might' even crash the program ;)

Of those not tested, it seems logical that mp2 files should work, but I am not able to test any for now.

Does anyone think it's worth adding these details to the online docs page?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#5]
Does anyone think it's worth adding these details to the online docs page?

Sure. Ignoring Playsound with Zero Handles was implemented in an older version, as an additional stability feature that doesn't hurt anyone - I guess.