Manually moving bones in code

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Manually moving bones in code

Drak(Posted 2010) [#1]
Is it possible to directly manipulate bones in code, even while the entity is animating? I've tried to do this by storing a reference to the bone in it's own field, then manipulate it with standard Entity commands, although it doesn't seem to work.

GIB3D(Posted 2010) [#2]
I'm pretty sure it does work because if you can get the Entity Info like it's X,Y,Z,Pitch,Yaw,Roll,Name, then you should be able to transform (move/scale/rotate) it too. Well now that I think about it, I have moved them. But if you move them and then you animate it, the vertices attached to the bones will move retardedly.... or maybe I just used ScaleMesh... hmmm

But anyways, if you didn't know, you can use FindChild to get the bone using its name.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#3]
You have to do all the bone manipulation after the 'update world" command, otherwise the updateworld command will override your own bone rotations.

Drak(Posted 2010) [#4]
Ah. Thanks Matty. That was the problem!

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#5]
Yasha did some work on this a little while ago (coupla months before christmas? or so) If you dig up the threads he made (I think code archives too) you may find some useful stuff :)

Drak(Posted 2010) [#6]
I've got it figured out. I wanted all but 1 bone(joint) to stay in the same animation, while the "thorax" bone's Yaw orientation could be controlled with code. I got it working right, although I did notice one thing: Turning the bone incrementally (say turn it's Yaw value .5 degrees) does absolutely nothing noticeable, as it is directed back to the original animation orientation on the next game loop. So, it does take a bit of coding to get the results I was looking for.

What I am working on is an aiming animation, so no matter what animation the enemies\npcs are in, they can still aim at their target correctly.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2010) [#7]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=660

this contains an example of moving bones manually

puki(Posted 2010) [#8]
"Smiffy" lives - hurrah!