online games - is to hard?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/online games - is to hard?

Santiworld(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello, I wonder if it is very difficult to do the following.

I want to make a game where people need to connect to the server for the data on its user.

I guess I would have to have a database in one page, and running the game, this should connect to that database.

the user may connect from any pc with the game installed, and have access to the user, with all the values that had the last time you played the game online.

1 - is very advanced and complicated to do something?
2 - there is a limit of users that can connect in this way?
3 - a system is safe, or is easily modifiable?

ah someone made?

Regards, Santiago

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#2]

Difficulty is measured by the experience and knowledge of the programmer, Tiny Tanks Online was my first real time multiplayer game. I learned more than I ever expected to, and the learning experience cost me alot of time.

many on these boards would say its complicated, and many would say its easy.

It also matters what type of online experience you are trying to create, turn based like a board game may be easier to accomplish than real time action, because bandwidth and latency will matter less in a board game.

action tick reflex games have a lower limit, but that limit can be stretched with clever net messaging

How easy will it be for clients to modify the game data? That's up to you as well, determined clever people can do whatever they set their minds to, so I would only try to create barriers within reason to prevent the lazy hacker. you'll never prevent the relentless ones from doing what they want. If they would only use their powers for the betterment of mankind ! :)

semar(Posted 2010) [#3]
What RifRaf wrote. Plus:

Yes and no. You need an online database which to communicate with. You can start, as test platform, using your local pc and install a MySql database server. I would highly recommend the good (and free) Apache web server.
Once done, create the database tables you need.
When everything works on your local pc, then you can replicate the database on your remote server, and test the game in a 'real' environnment.

It depends on the database capacity. But before to worry about this issue, get the game done :)

As RifRaf said, you can't prevent everything. But you can add some level of protection if you send encrypted data.

There is a DLL that can make your database communication a breeze, it's called ETNA, is free and is compatible with Blitz3D and BlitzMAX.
I use it in my Asteroids game to save the score on an online database. (the game is located in the section 'Work In Progress' on my website in case you want to take a look).

Etna (in Blitz Toolbox): http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=160

Hope it helps,
Sergio.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#4]
If they would only use their powers for the betterment of mankind ! :)
Sorry, OT, but this made me laugh!