Question About 3D Tiles

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Question About 3D Tiles

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#1]
I created a pretty basic 3D tile editor. And when I say tiles, I mean flat square surface meshes (2 triangles each) The walls, the floors and the ceilings, all .5,.5,.5 in dimension. All of them, square flat surfaces.

It works pretty well, but I have to wonder. Is this really such a good idea as a method for building 3D level meshes? I worry about having too many polygons due to so many tiles.

Opinions?

GIB3D(Posted 2010) [#2]
You could make it so after you place the triangles, add it to a World Mesh.

Mahan(Posted 2010) [#3]
Looks a bit like http://blitzmax.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=208. I have bought this tool and I seem to remember that is makes a mesh of a full "level" once you want to export it.

GIB3D(Posted 2010) [#4]
Or... Maplet http://blitzbasic.com/Products/maplet.php

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#5]
@Mahan: wow, that editr looks rather impressive! perhaps I'll give it a try :) thanks for the link

@GIB3D: Yeah, I have Maplet. Its a nice tool, but I hate how you cant set the texture size with it :P

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#6]
Your building walls and floor out of the least possible amount of tiles though. I've seen corridors that are made from 2,000 odd polygons (triangles) before :)

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#7]
Perhaps even combine some tiles to make larger ones, i.e.

2x2 tiles becomes one large tile. This would affect textures, and may well not be worth it, but polygon count there would be reduced to a quarter.

All in all, I think it's good, seems simple to use and effective.

For more complex stuff, there's occlusion methods to consider, where any 'rooms' hidden because of the 'walls' drawn in front of them, are hidden from the renderer, but don't ask me how to implement that :)

FBEpyon(Posted 2010) [#8]
Like stated try making it so when you add a tile you add it to a world mesh using CSG code and combined tile into one larger mesh this help with poly counts.

Constructive Solid Geometry

I have played with CSG before but have failed, if you can get it to work please share :P

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#9]
@Ross: That's a great deal of polygons. I was always a bit nervous about using models with too many polys in a game. For one, I hate slowdowns :P

@Malice: Actually, when I started work on this editor, it was the first time I experimented with the create mesh/surface commands. So I'm still kind of new to how all that works. I'm sure what your suggesting is simple, I just have to figure out how it can be done. Tis good advise though:)

@FBE: I'll certainly look into that. Thanks for the advise :)