.wav format?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/.wav format?

FlagDKT(Posted 2010) [#1]
What's the most compatible and compressed wav codec that a fresh windows installation can play?
PCM makes too big files...

it's for sounds effects of my game..

I don't want to use MP3 because they uses too much cpu..

PowerPC603(Posted 2010) [#2]
Have you tried .ogg?

I think Blitz3D supports this format and is free of any patents, unlike mp3.

FlagDKT(Posted 2010) [#3]
No!Never tried..I don't know how much it is really compatible

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#4]
Yep, .ogg is a great format to use, and is supported in blitz i'm sure.

Drak(Posted 2010) [#5]
There are many free converters available that can convert .mp3, .wav, and others to .ogg format. A quick google should turn up some decent ones.

FlagDKT(Posted 2010) [#6]
Does Blitz3d uses windows audio codecs or it uses its own?And if it uses windows audio codecs, will a fresh new windows installation play .ogg files?

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#7]
It may depend on the version of wmp you have installed, but provided you have updated with Windows Updated etc. then all should be fine.

Anyhow, OGG codecs are freely available from vorbis.org

Blitz relies on system codecs, but only those for wav, mp3, ogg and wma etc. (Full list given under the LoadSound command I think)
OGG is probably the best for quality/size especially as mp3 often require some difficult licenses for distributing mp3's encoded with them.

For future reference, I seriously recommend you check out a program called Goldwave (www.goldwave.com) Not oly does this convert from anything to anything* but you can specify the quality and codecs used too. It also has some of the easiest to use, and most powerful audio editing functions.

A demo version is available for free, and whilst this is limited per useage of certain functions, it can really last a long whilee.

big10p(Posted 2010) [#8]
Pretty sure Blitz3D uses an open source sound API, but I forget which one.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#9]
fmod?

big10p(Posted 2010) [#10]
Don't think it's fmod. Is fmod free?

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#11]
I dunno.. I just sseem to remcall now you mentioned a 3rd party dll thing, that there was some mention of fmod a while back...

Ahh here it is :

(for once the search function of the forums was useful XD )

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=70509#789132

And you yourself said that B3D uses a cut-down version of FMod ;)

big10p(Posted 2010) [#12]
Heh! I'm, getting old, my memory isn't what it used to be. :P

FlagDKT(Posted 2010) [#13]
Hope that ogg doesn't suck too much cpu

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#14]
Does Blitz3d uses windows audio codecs or it uses its own?And if it uses windows audio codecs, will a fresh new windows installation play .ogg files?

Ogg is open source so people can build it into their software. For this reason, I think it's highly likely that it's built into FMod. In either case, I'm almost certain that ogg playback will function correctly on a fresh Windows installation.