Robot's chase player faster.....

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Robot's chase player faster.....

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#1]
Why are some robots chasing my player faster when there is 2 or more by each other even if the 2nd one isn't chasing the player like the 1st one is, even though the speeds of all robots is set to be the same speed? but when the player is by one robot that isnt by any other robots, the speed is fine?

GIB3D(Posted 2010) [#2]
Maybe if you took the brakes off it might help?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#3]
someone else?

Stevie G(Posted 2010) [#4]
Noone can help you without code!!!!

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#5]
i cant show u the WHOLE code. but i can show u part of the code. if i showed u the whole code, thats over 3000 lines.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#6]
Moveallrobots():

Object_Robot_Create():

Object_Robot_Update():

Stevie G(Posted 2010) [#7]
Post the WHOLE code (make sure it can be run without external media) and be very specific about where YOU think it's going wrong! Without this you are onto plumbs!!!

[Edit] Your code I presume?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#8]
i cant. thats impossible. its so far into the game that with all the includes files, its over 40000 lines.

LineOf7s(Posted 2010) [#9]
The suggestion is to make NEW code that illustrates the specific problem you're having, that doesn't require it to be a part of the 'whole code' in order to run (and doesn't require the use of any external media either).

40000 lines? That's a lot of cutting and pasting.

puki(Posted 2010) [#10]
Out of interest "Rez" are you creating some kind of 'Frankenstein' game, in terms of the code?

I mean, are you basically building a game out of pieces of code that you have collated over time.

I'm not poking fun at you - I am just wondering if you have been scouring through the archives of Blitz and you are basically assembling a game from bits and pieces that you find and have found interesting and decided to bolt on.

It's not a stab at you - it is more a way of understanding your coding style - ie, if you are bolting stuff together, it would stand to reason that you won't always necessarily understand why (whatever) is not working, because you didn't write it all from scratch.

I hope that makes sense.

I've not read all of your previous threads; however, I am starting to wonder if this is how you are building your game.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#11]
yes, it's mine. ive been working on it for over 5 years now, it is an rpg ive been working on. RossC would know because he helped me create the code that allows my player to talk to npcs

Stevie G(Posted 2010) [#12]
Impossible? 40,000 lines of ALL your own code - behave yourself, unless you've incorporated most of the code archive! Segragate the relevant part(s) and ensure that they do NOT require extenal media and we can maybe help!

Running the above helps neither you nor others!!!

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#13]
again, i have been working on it for 5 years. all the examples in the past i have gotten, i have added into the game.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#14]
i was in 9th grade when i started my project.

Stevie G(Posted 2010) [#15]
What age is 9th grade? I direct you to my previous statement.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#16]
and i direct you to mine. there is NO way i can make it function the EXACT same way it is right now, because it is over 40000 lines long. if i were to make a dummy copy of it, i could never produce the same error.

Stevie G(Posted 2010) [#17]
Again, I direct you to my prevous statement ..

Without this you are onto plumbs!!!

puki(Posted 2010) [#18]
What's plumbs?

Stevie G(Posted 2010) [#19]
A tasty fruit or ... Hee Haw as we say in Glasgow!

Drak(Posted 2010) [#20]
Is one robot continually colliding into the other every frame, thus making one slower? Besides, I thought your code only had 1 robot chase the player at at time.

yes, it's mine.

BTW, that's not your code you posted, that's MY code. I wrote that for you. That's fine that you use it, I actually want you to use it, just don't claim to write it all when I clearly can recognize my own code that I wrote only 2 weeks ago.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT REZ
And on another note, every time one of those robots goes into pursue the player mode, it creates a pivot for a waypoint. When it returns to that pivot\waypoint later, you MUST delete it. I stressed that before, but you absolutely, positively NEED to free that pivot when the enemy gets back to it, or you'll have huge memory leaks!

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#21]
i cant show u the WHOLE code. but i can show u part of the code. if i showed u the whole code, thats over 3000 lines.

i cant. thats impossible. its so far into the game that with all the includes files, its over 40000 lines.

Anyone else smell that?

What's plumbs?
Jacobs'.

Rez post a zip file.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#22]
i DID free the pivot

Ginger Tea(Posted 2010) [#23]
seeing as this is the SAME error from the waypoints thread why in gods name didnt you post in that saying "its still broken and they still do this"

Gridian(Posted 2010) [#24]
Hail!

5 Years? 40 THOUSAND lines of code?

Now you got me curious: What kind of game are you creating?

Greetings
Gridian

LineOf7s(Posted 2010) [#25]
Pacman clone.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#26]
:D

JA2(Posted 2010) [#27]
Inspired by 'Limbo of the Lost' :p

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#28]
Tetris ultimate

JA2(Posted 2010) [#29]
Pong