water ripples?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/water ripples?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#1]
How would I make water like this using a bump map?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMj9bpD6ZSY

if you need the bump map, i will upload it

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#2]
That looks more like a cubemap applied to a mesh, which is being deformed in real time.

JA2(Posted 2010) [#3]
You could try using the FastExt library for ADDitional special effects...

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#4]
is the fastext free? if so, where can i find it? if i dont have to do much formula w/ fastext, that would be GREAT

nrasool(Posted 2010) [#5]
Nope you have to pat for Fastext, but it is def worth it!!!, Create effects you can do with it

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#6]
ok, does someone know of a code base entry that has an example of a cubemap applied to a mesh and deformed in real time?

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#7]
JA2 ;)

Well, you need to generate a cubemap, of the surrounding area, texture the sea mesh with it. You should start by investigating the vertexcoords command. This command will allow you to move the position of a vertex.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#8]
Rob Farley's cubemap example in the code archives is excellent as a means of developing cubemaps.
As for the deformation, I'm pretty sure there was a similar thing too in the code arcs.

JA2(Posted 2010) [#9]
FastExt is very good and well worth the price. With it you can render shadows, water reflections, etc Comes with lots of examples too to get you started...

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#10]
id LOVE to buy fastext, but right now my budget cannot handle it. so i need a codebase entry that shows how to deform a cubemap.

JA2(Posted 2010) [#11]
Hmm it only costs $12 and there is a free trial available, too. Might save you (and everyone else) a bit of time...

See, looks nice doesn't it :)

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#12]
You can't deform a cubemap. Your looking to deform the water mesh. Have a look at the vertexcoords commands, and it's examples.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#13]
it does look nice. but my budget cant handle it atm.. :/ maybe in a few weeks..

Floyd(Posted 2010) [#14]
Here's an oldie but goodie: Rob's cube map demo

NOTE: The zip file has a .txt extension because my free web space will not accept a zip file. You must rename the downloaded file.

puki(Posted 2010) [#15]
Devil Engines are free:
http://www.devil-engines.net/

There is water included with the shadow system.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#16]
I don't think it's a plane with wobbling vertices (although it could be made with this 'slower' method).

It's an EMBM material (EMBM stands for Environment Mapped Bump Mapping, a graphical feature native to D3D 7). It has it's "Normal" texture being animated or moved, so as to provoque the appearance of ripples. The diffuse texture is a cubemap.

What aShadow and FastEXT allow you to do is use this EMBM material more easily (but there ARE free options around here. Search the forum for EMBM).
It's a tradeoff between paying something or having to deal with more implementation difficulties - but it's totally doable, both ways.

PS: I'm saying it's an EMBM because that is the way to do it with Blitz3D. I'm sure that the video you showed used shaders all the way.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#17]
Ah, thanks for the explanation man, and sorry for the bum info everyone!