frameless exe

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/frameless exe

jtassinari(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi there,

does anyone know if it's possibile to create a windowless/frameless exe with B3D even with an additional component?

cheers,

jTassinari
- [ www.absolute-line.net ] -

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2010) [#2]
Hmm, I have always wondered how to do that myself. I bet there is a way though, maybe you could try using WinBlitz3d made by Kev.

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#3]
Remove all your window styles except WS_POPUP.

jtassinari(Posted 2010) [#4]
Hi Gabriel,

thanks for the suggestion, this sound a bit like undessing windows :D
do you ahve any code/sugegstion about this? and more, would this solution be exportable in a release?

cheers,

jTassinari

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#5]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=37093#407766

Here's the DECLS to use the code in BODYPRINT's post:
.lib "user32.dll"
FindWindow%(runtime$, name$):"FindWindowA"
ShowWindow%(hwnd,val):"ShowWindow"

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#6]
you will need the users32 decals and the win32 constants.. search archives and/or forums for those.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#7]
This is also possible (by the same method, in fact) along with many others in the "BlitzSys" library (in the userlibs forum) - The advantage of BlitzSys is that it comes with neat examples and doesn't require a decls file.
The only real 'disadvantage' is that it also has lots of other features you may not need...

jtassinari(Posted 2010) [#8]
Thanks Malice,

i arrived at BlitzSys some minutes ago, and it's really amazing, while I have tried also the use of "user32.dll", but didn't go really far... :( probably i'm missing something somewhere :D

btw, i think i'll try to use BlitzSys =)

cheers,

jTassinari

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#9]
Having a quick look over BlitzSys, I think it 'cheats' by drawing a 'pretend' window, which is then told to act as a window, whilst the main application window is hidden.

Examples 26, 27 and 28 in BlitzSys show various ways of doing this!

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#10]
edit. nm

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#11]
Unfort. we still cannot make a frameless window of the full desktop size this way, please correct me if I'm wrong.

jtassinari(Posted 2010) [#12]
Hi jfk,

i think it's a bit useless a frameless app that wun fullscreen, a windowed app could be frameless, at last if you do not mean something like a max screen size windowed, but still when borderless would be a normal fullscreen, aint?

a think i'd really like to do is to be able to create a transparent layer b3dapp and make it runs under the icons and above the desktop background, as the desktop is composed by the background and the icons layer to allow a b3d to run there... i wonder how (and maybe why) ;D

cheers

Heliotrope(Posted 2010) [#13]
maby you could swap beteen a window and fullscreen so fast that you don't
noties the frame.

Serpent(Posted 2010) [#14]
I have no idea how you would get a B3D app 'between' the desktop background and icons - in fact I doubt this is possible - but after trying out user32.dll functions, you can't draw graphics onto a borderless window. One possible solution would be to create your Blitz3D window, hide it, create another window which is borderless, render to the Blitz3D window (which is not visible) then copy that to the borderless window using BitBlt. Even if you can manage to get this working, I doubt that it is possible to position a window in between the desktop icons and the desktop background due to the way windows work in Windows.

Yasha(Posted 2010) [#15]
By the magic power of Active Desktop, the windows desktop background isn't limited to being an image but can also be an HTML file. Perhaps, using OSAKit or some other tool that lets you embed a Blitz3D application into a website, you could do exactly the same thing and embed one into the HTML file used as the background?