What GUI does this use?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/What GUI does this use?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#1]
What GUI does this use & where may I find it?

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#2]
I wonder why there is no include statement. This would lead to me to believe it's a .dll GUI perhaps?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#3]
think about it. WHAT gui is this command in?

WaitEvent()

Floyd(Posted 2010) [#4]
This is a weakness of the Code Archives. You can't tell what language the code is in!

It is actually written in BlitzPlus, which is essentially the old 2D BlitzBasic plus a built-in GUI.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#5]
CRAP! so how can I update it so it works with Nightgui or something like that?

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#6]
think about what? if you dont know the answer you can't pull me up for having a guess...

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#7]
I don't know, try BlitzUI.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#8]
no lol. i meant if u think about where that function is from, what gui do u think he used?

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#9]
It uses the Windows UI, surely? it's not based on images (or "skins", if you will).
The OS will build the forms' and gadget's graphics automatically, just like when you use NotePad or MS-Paint.

The GUI commands embedded in BlitzPlus create an easy interface for you to use the Windows UI without having to hook the API in some complex\boring way. Just like MaxGUI or wxMax.

EDIT: The closest way to use this in Blitz3D is either using WinBlitz3D, or perhaps a simulated solution like the Devil's GUI engine.
Unfortunately, both do not support a way to "wait for an event to happen", so their update loops use 100% of your CPU.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#10]
Well that just SUCKS....

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#11]
They still work, nonetheless. Give them a try.

Here's the link for WinBlitz3D: http://www.whitegatesoftware.com/winblitz3d.zip

PS: If you're going to use WinBlitz3D, make sure to download SCHNOK. It's a visual form editor for it; makes things much faster and easier.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#12]
CRAP! schnok crashes. i have windows vista 32-bit version ><

Sauer(Posted 2010) [#13]
Holy cow, my code! I did that in B+, so that's the GUI I used.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#14]
@Sauer, YOU wrote this? If so, kudos to u! =D

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#15]
still can't get schnok to work.. *sigh* i would have liked to have used it. Why does it get a MAV?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#16]
Ok, I got this to work. SORTA..

Can u guys tell me what commands to replace w/ what and how?

Here's what needs to be replaced:

I need to know how to replace these lines, and I also need to know where to find a replacement function for RequestFile()

Danny(Posted 2010) [#17]
@Rez - sorry it MAV'ed on you mate. Schnok doesn't sit very well on Vista ;)

I didn't knew anyone still used that old proggy... Anyway, here's a version that should work on Vista, grab it here:

www.xs4all.nl/~dendanny/SCHNOK/schnok.v1.00.rar

Have fun,

Danny.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#18]
thanks danny!

so guys, can someone help w/ the above? I really wanna help upgrade this apparent alpha version of this rpg drag drop editor

Sauer(Posted 2010) [#19]
You're going to have issues using this to create a drag and drop editor for RPG's using this code. Its intent was to create bitmap images for pen and paper RPG's, not generate level data for computer games. There is no data structure for storing the information contained in the cells, and while you could implement one, you'd probably be better off re-writing one from scratch.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#20]
well yea, but i can see how this could easily be turned into just that.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#21]
no offence meant here, but if you can see how easily it can be converted, after reading Sauer's post, this should be do-able by yourself.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#22]
No offense taken. I simply need to know the replacement functions

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#23]
It's realllly hard to be nice to you.

ah, i see you have edited your post to say no offence.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#24]
Hey I did NOTHING to u.

I said I simply need to know the replacement functions.

No more, no less.

I havent called u a name or done ANYTHING to u..

JA2(Posted 2010) [#25]
:)

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#26]
Ok, at least tell me what dll "requestfile", "createcanvas", "canvasbuffer", and "flipcanvas" is in.

Yasha(Posted 2010) [#27]
They're BlitzPlus commands; they're not in a DLL. You'll either need to get BlitzPlus (there's a free demo, don't know if it's got use-limitations) or reconstruct their functionality in native B3D code.

RequestFile looks like a file requester box - you know when you click File -> Open at the top left of many applications, you get a box to let you choose... that thing. It looks like it returns the name of a file which is then loaded normally, so you could just cut it out and replace it with a constant filename for now, until you've worked out what you want to do about a replacement GUI system.

I have no idea what a canvas is, but it sounds like some kind of independent drawing area that can be updated separately from the BackBuffer. If this is the case there is no way to do that from within Blitz3D so you'd have to draw this information somewhere on the main screen instead. So perhaps try commenting out the bits not completely necessary to functionality (information boxes etc.), and drawing the rest to a dedicated canvas area somewhere to one side of the screen?

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#28]
WinBlitz3D \ examples \ Kev \ GUI \ WB3D_OpenFileRequest.bb

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#29]
Thanks Kryzon, but I found some code that allows request file AND drag & drop file

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2010) [#30]
as for the canvas stuff on here, what function can i use to replace them?

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#31]
You need to write your own, probably involving using an image buffer.