Windows

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Windows

Jack(Posted 2009) [#1]
Please don't mention searching. Tried that.

Will Blitz run under Windows?

Under emulation?

Under a Virtual Machine?

Thanks for any info.

Jack(Posted 2009) [#2]
Sorry --- WINDOWS 7 --- I mean.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#3]
blitz3d is native to windows and runs on most windows versions (it might not work on 95 though)
though being tied to DX7 always creates threads about the end is nigh

it has been found to run under wine in linux but im not too sure about games made with it being the same

virtual machines ... pass

edit:
windows 7 has had some rather upbeat responses, even with the dx7 'issue', but i dont know if this is due to the pro version or not
if you or your customers have normal w7 without the virtualization whistles and bells whos to say if it will work 100% as i dont have any version of w7 nor can i recall if basic w7 was used by those that reported all well

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#4]
Blitz 3D run fine on window 7 :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#5]
Under (Ubuntu) linux:

BlitzMax + Max2d/MaxGui = Pass, both native and under wine.
BlitzMax + MiniB3d = Pass, both native and under wine.
BlitzMax + Irrlicht = Pass, both native and under wine and on VM (easyvmx.com).
B3D = fail. Under wine (no native) the errors are all DX related
(also, WinVMs cannot support 3D.. except maybe OpenGL? -no help there anyway)

DirectX is like a blood clot where Xplatform is concerned.

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#6]
hi
i test blitz 3d on a virtual machine (xp runing on vista home basic) but no 3d graphics mode are reported. so i canīt run any app on that virtual machine (made with Virtual Box)

Juan

dogzer(Posted 2009) [#7]
PLEASE GOD MAKE B3D LIVE SOME MORE! YOU OWE US!! =/

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#8]
1) The author of Blitz3D is not God, it's Mark Sibly.

2) He ows you as much as giving you the software after it's purchase. That's it.

3) The problem is not with Blitz3D itself. It's with DirectX 7 compatibility.

4) No need to type on All-Caps, nobody here is blind.

PS: Didn't mean to be rude, just brief :3

PowerPC603(Posted 2009) [#9]
I had some problems running 3D games when I just got this laptop.
DX10 was installed, perhaps a small version of it, I don't know.
But to run any game at all, I had to install DirectX9 onto my laptop.
Now every game works.

Perhaps for the people who experience the same problem, it can be worthwhile to install DirectX9.0c, which comes with most games that need it.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#10]
Blitz3D works fine in VMWare Player (free) here, running at full speed:

Jack(Posted 2009) [#11]
BlitzSupport -

I know nothing about this VM stuff so forgive me.
Your picture showa WinXP Player. Does this mean WinXP is being emulated
by VMWare running in Windows7. And if so does that mean I could
program using my Blitz3D install or just run finished and compiled
B3D stuff.
Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#12]
James, what VM generator did you use for DX compatible 3d card virtualisation? Every one i have tried has been some bog-standard generic video card that refuses dx.

Or are you talking about a commercial solution?

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#13]
when i test Sun xVM Virtual Box they advise that graphics emulation were in develompment and directx and open gl will be supported, as i saw, vm ware were saying practically the same and i test virtual box because it's free.

i'll check xVM updates to see if they progress on graphics.

@Jack: yes. But the player is of VMWare, playing XP on a machine that has other OS.
The idea is to create a virtual machine, say use 10GB of your disk to create a Virtual Drive on where you can install what you want: xp, 2000, linux, etc. You can create many virtual machines and in theory you can test the behavior of your soft under differents plataforms.

in my particular case, some api calls didnīt work when i called from blitz3d or blitz max under vista home basic, but works ok when i test the virtual machine runing xp.

Juan

Jack(Posted 2009) [#14]
good info - thanks Charrua and James (and others)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#15]
D4NM4N/Jack -- it's just the free VMware Player with XP and the VMware tools installed (you get prompted to do this after installing the OS -- it's important). It has a checkbox option in one of the settings dialogs for enabling 3D acceleration, but it was already checked here, so should work without any effort. I just copied an existing compiled project over (via the shared folder option), but it should work fine from the IDE too.