Can I run a blitz3d app from a browser?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Can I run a blitz3d app from a browser?

dogzer(Posted 2009) [#1]
Is there any plugin/software in wich you can run a blitz3d app from within a browser?

Leon Drake(Posted 2009) [#2]
OSAKit can. I think IGloader is dead. however i still have a copy of IGloader SDK.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2009) [#3]
What happend to Igloader ? and is their software still around to use ? as I recall it was the only one that worked with almost any browser, and not just IE.

dogzer(Posted 2009) [#4]
i need igloader!

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#5]
Is this IGLoader you're talking about?

What does it do? how do you use it?

Leon Drake(Posted 2009) [#6]
well I haven't seen Indiepath around in like forever but his last post was that IGloader is now free. So i suppose it won't kill him for me to supply a download link.

but grab the SDK here, as far as i know it still runs cross browser.

http://www.vigilsoft.net/igLoader_v3_SDK.rar

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#7]
All you need is to write a plugin (Active-X for IE, or in C for Firefox) that download your program, execute it (with the window hidden), use the Win API call SetParent and set the hWnd of your plugin as a parent to the hWnd of your program.

Proof of concept I did ages ago (WinMugen running inside Firefox):

There are some extra hacks necessary (for example, the game must run windowed, you have to manually remove the titlebar, etc) but it's easy enough to get it going.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
well I haven't seen Indiepath around in like forever but his last post was that IGloader is now free. So i suppose it won't kill him for me to supply a download link.

but grab the SDK here, as far as i know it still runs cross browser.

IIRC you still need to obtain a license for each program that you wish to wrap, and the license request page is no longer online. ( http:/www.igloader.com/license_tool )

the URL where it attempts to download the actual plugin setup files that people need to be able to run it is not functional either -- it appears this is currently pretty much dead in the water, which is really too bad.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#9]
I assume you still need to be running windows on the client side for the game to run, ie this is not a way to get blitz3d to run on mac/linux through a browser?

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#10]
All you need is to write a plugin (Active-X for IE, or in C for Firefox) that download your program, execute it (with the window hidden), use the Win API call SetParent and set the hWnd of your plugin as a parent to the hWnd of your program.

I like the way things like these sound simple when said by someone who knows their way around.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#11]
Matty - unfortunately not. It's just running as a plugin, that's when a browser gives control to a 3rd party program over the content of a rectangular area of a page, sotosay (unless it's only sound or so, then the size would be zero, however). So here it is still Blitz3D running as part of the webpage.

Isn't there anybody who could contact Indiepath? I hope he isn't dead too. But even then somebody else would own the copyrights and I can't believe they don't want to make some money. Probably he's going to sell the project AS IS to a publisher.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#12]
If you're trying to get a hold of indiepath, then you may want to check out his other site: pjio.com, that one appears to be still up and running.

Leon Drake(Posted 2009) [#13]
lol @ jfk

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#14]
But even then somebody else would own the copyrights and I can't believe they don't want to make some money

Sometimes a company can make more money by NOT selling something: It could be considered a competitive advantage not to help your competition, after all.

Bringing in a few $$ while enableing someone else to become a direct competitor doesn't make sense, unless the $$ it brings in is substantial.

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#15]
I just thought of something... since B3DSDK is compatible with c/c++, maybe it could be used in the plugin (any way to static link it on the executable?), and some sort of script parsing be used to run b3d source... but still, it would be windows only.

But really... why go this route? If you want 3D gaming on your browser, better go to Unity instead, or even some flash 3D software render like Away3D. Much less trouble.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#16]
how do u get osakit to work?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#17]
cuz when i open the generated html file, it pops up the program. it doesnt display it on the website.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2009) [#18]
microsoft (internet explorer) offers a plugin sdk. mozilla (firefox) too.

These SDK embeds real into the html style..

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#19]
Where can I find this plugin? and how can I use it?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#20]
I'm sure google will find it, this wasn't meant sarcasticly.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#21]
whats the name of this plugin, and how can i use it if i dont have a decls file? oO

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#22]
or even some flash 3D software render like Away3D

I wondered why it was slow as hell... I hate Flash; the thing is so mentally disturbingly slow. I'm sure it's only standard because nothing better came around - but that doesn't meant it's the BEST.

I bet a BlitzMax executable embedded through OSAKit could beat the hell out of a functionaly-identical Flash application. Yeah, I guess I could say Flash disgusts me.

Happy christmas everyone ^^

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#23]
So why does OSAKit not allow for it to embed into the website then? Instead, it just pops up..

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#24]
How can you say that it definitely does not allow you to do that? the OSAKit is an ActiveX object.

I think that with a bit of HTML programming in hand you can format your page to include more than just the application. I'm not 100% sure about this as I do not own OSAKit.

But it is doable - see the demos for Unity3D as an example.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#25]
Ok, I'll have a look. I still don't get why it pops up instead of opening IN the ACTUAL activex control ON the webpage instead.