Brawler collisions, gameplay wise

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Brawler collisions, gameplay wise

neoshaman(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hello!

I want to create a 3D brawler (think zelda 64 fighting somewhat) i want to know how do you handle interesting fighting collision with Blitz 3D.

My problem so far is that blitz force "solid collision" which mean that volume can't intersect without repelling each other. This is a problem when you want your sword traversing the flesh of the opponant.

Actually i just create a pivot and check distance (classic R1 + R2< distance) to target but it is not very accurate, the feeling isn't there especially when the weapon have strange shape. And as the volume is a sphere, it's hard to cover correctly the model.

And what about gap when the animation move too fast?

Do you think any other way to do it?

Another problem is to handle the hit frame. If the collision of the same animation occur twice in consecutive frame(happen if the enemy is too close), you want to count as only one hit per hit stun of enmey. But you also want to enable combo, i mean if it is a second animation (the same that restart or another one) hit during one hit stun of an enemy should count.

neoshaman(Posted 2009) [#2]
seems like an obvious non problem:

Resetentity do most the job frame

Use a regular collision setup, when hit, reset enemy collision (for that frame), that way your weapon can get through

use a variable that you increase to differentiate each attack

let the enemy register the value on hit, if hit and value = same, reset collision, do not register hit, else register hit.