Windows 7 Home

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Windows 7 Home

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2009) [#1]
Biltz3D does not work correct with windows 7 _home_.

Blitz3D runs on "Windows 7 Professionaly" perfect.

The problem is the support for older software. These are simulated per emulation on windows. Emulator is delivered only with "Windows 7 Professionaly".

I think the Blitz3D runtime must be compiled for 64bit support. A little bit rework of the compile must be taken, too.

please check this issue. Thanks.

[into the next days, i do install a home edition to check this out myself.]

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
What do you mean "does not work correct"?

It should work off the bat, without emulation. The only real issue that I'm aware of is that older executables compiled with B3D may have problems with the DEP (Data Execution Prevention) feature of windows on some PC's -- you can work around that either by adding an exception for your .exe in the DEP settings, or recompiling it with B3D with the latest updates installed which fix that problem.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#3]
sry, my english is bad. :/
So is your information. B3D does NOT require XP mode to run on Windows 7. It will run on Windows 7 just fine. DX7 is NOT supported on Windows 7 and this will run under emulation, but it does not require XP mode.

You are not specifying what version of Windows 7 Home. There is not a Windows 7 Home.

There is Windows 7 Home Basic which was only released to third-world countries.

Then there is Windows 7 Home Premium which is the base install available in modern countries.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#4]
im curious , what does it take by the end user to run "under emulation" , any special actions or setup ?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#5]
RifRaf: Windows 7 professional, enterprise and ultimate have an 'xp compatibility mode' option. There are a few things needed to make it work:

1) Your motherboard, BIOS and CPU all need to support hardware virtualization (hyper-V)
2) You need to download the optional XP compatibility pack from the microsoft website. This is essentially a tweaked version of MS Virtual PC, which includes windows XP

After enabling hardware virtualization in the BIOS and installing the compatibility pack, it essentially gives you a virtual PC running XP, but the big difference between the XP compatibility stuff vs. Virtual PC, is that in the XP mode you don't have to run an entire XP machine inside a sandbox window, but can virtualize a single application in a single window on your Windows 7 desktop, so from the user point of view it appears that the program is running natively under windows 7 even though in the background it's really in a sandbox using all the respective Windows XP DLL's and such for their system calls.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#6]
yikes

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2009) [#7]
This is it. I think this compatiblity issue is a bug.
Please bugfix it.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
Please bugfix it.

WHAT compatibility issue?!

All you said is this:

Biltz3D does not work correct with windows 7 _home_.

What problem are you running into? Are you seeing any particular error message? Weird graphics/sound problems? blue-screen-of-death?

There is absolutely no information here to go on in your posts, especially since most people don't appear to have any problems.

Rroff(Posted 2009) [#9]
I'm running 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium (no XP compatibility mode) on my laptop and gaming PC and so far I've had no problems with running fullscreen B3D apps + FastExt on them - theres some minor issues with aero + windowed mode tho that can cause some random extreme slowdown.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#10]
m curious , what does it take by the end user to run "under emulation" , any special actions or setup ?
Absolutely nothing. DX7 to DX9 emulation is handled automatically.

Please bugfix it.
No bugs and please quit saying it does not work on an operating system that does not exist. There is no Windows 7 Home.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2009) [#11]
Sorry.. I haved mean Windows 7 Home Premium ( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/offers/windows-7-family-pack.aspx )

I'm glad that was all a mistake of mine. A dangerous mistake...

The error was my fault. It was a old gpu wich not worked correct with windows 7. It seems blitzbasic supports (only?) modern system, if windows 7 is installed. The old gpu is it not worth to talk about. (the gpu is integrated into a old notebook (year 2000, test system -.- ))

Sorry.

Rroff(Posted 2009) [#12]
Yeah you are likely to need a more modern GPU with Windows 7 to get everything running properly compared to XP.

Chi3f Stadi(Posted 2009) [#13]
Just to mention my experience with Windows 7 so far.

the Blitz3D games I've tested run all fine on any Windows 7 version ... it does not matter if it's 32-bit or 64-bit version.

cheers