Clients firewalls block them from joining netgame?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Clients firewalls block them from joining netgame?

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hey everyone!

I finally after several months of attempting it, have created my
first online game. ( http://www.mediafire.com/?hgnyyzyydym )
Its pretty basic, mainly just pong with two players and no scoring
system, but it works out pretty well!

I do have one question though.
Me and my play testers had some initial trouble getting past their
firewalls. They kept blocking the game, until I finally just had them
add my Ip adress to their firewalls 'do not block' list.

Your average gamer though, wouldn't know the first thing about
how to modify their firewall.

How do I make this program By Pass their firewall so they don't
have to deal with configuring it?

Heres the code, if you need it, although I haven't commented it
as much as I should yet.

Thanks!

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
How do I make this program By Pass their firewall so they don't
have to deal with configuring it?

...The entire point of a firewall is that to keep programs from accessing the internet without permission. Any decent (software) firewall would pop up a notice saying that an unknown program attempted to access the internet, and ask you to allow or deny, although you may need to run in windowed mode for that window to be visible.

I doubt you'll be able to have your program automatically approve itself, since that would make the entire firewall useless in the first place.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hi Werdna, I had the same problem with my space combat multiplayer game - one solution is to provide a little warning in windowed mode when the game starts that for multiplayer to work they need to add the program to their firewall's exception list, xlsior is right - it would be pointless if a program could simply execute and disregard a firewall without the user knowing about it.

grindalf(Posted 2009) [#4]
yeah Ive had this problem with comercial games, they start in full screen i get the message pop up to allow which would exit it from fullscreen and crash the game :( in the end I just turned off my firewall, I wonder if I turned it back on.......

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#5]
Ok, I'll include a read me file then with instructions for how to add the
game to the exceptions list for most common firewalls, and some sort
of notice when the game starts.

Thanks everyone!

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#6]
Your average gamer though, wouldn't know the first thing about
how to modify their firewall.

In all fairness, whilst it's courteous and helpful for you to consider people and their firewalls (as well as possibly forwarding router ports too), it's not really your problem if someone with XYZ configuration can't connect due to Blahblah security software on their machine.
There are numerous firewall and internet security packages each with their own settings and complexities any of which may interfere with your game networking commands in some way or another.

A general guideline/warning that firewalls may block required code is fair enough, but trying to accommodate every eventuality is really a waste of time ;)

In the interests of providing support and being aware of such difficulties though, at least knowing that potential problems are caused by firewalls etc. will help :)

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#7]
Indeed!

I went ahead and stuck the suggested firewall notice in though :)

Things are coming along pretty well with this, I have combined both
the Single Player, and Multi Player versions into a single package, and
am now working on refining it before adding much new content.

AND, now that I know how to deal with network games, I have begun
work on the haunted mansion model for another little game I have
planned ^_^

I'll post it in the graphics showcase pretty soon.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#8]
Nice :) All the best!

Zethrax(Posted 2009) [#9]
Personally, I'd pop a small windowed mode window on startup with a message that the user may need to unblock your program in their firewall, and then have your program attempt to communicate with the server. This attempt should trigger the firewall's warning window, which should give the user the option to unblock your program.

If your attempt to communicate with the server is unsuccessful, then keep the window open and show an additional message that the server could not be contacted. Give them the option to bypass this warning window if your game also has a single player mode.

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#10]
Now that sounds like a good idea :)

Thanks Bill!