Game water waves

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Game water waves

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hey just a quick question but are there any games that have actual crashing waves? Is this possible? Is this possible in Blitz?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#2]
yes, kingdom hearts used it in the battle w/ sephiroth.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#3]
It depends what you mean by crashing. If you mean perfect Jeffreys Bay tubes then i think you have your work cut out, however if you mean some white wave like distortion where the water meets the land going in and out, then it is quite possible to do in b3d with clever sprites and some tidy logic to give the effect of small waves breaking.

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2009) [#4]
I am kind of looking for a rolling wave, by my prior knowledge of water this is not possible to achieve with a flat surface, is their some other technique?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#5]
use vertex code

grindalf(Posted 2009) [#6]
I created a wave program once with terrains by moveing the verteces up and down acording to a greyscale terrain underneath(used it like a reef) but you cant get tubes with terrains, still it looked pretty cool. I dont have the code anymore it was on my old laptop which is dead :(

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#7]
can u make a new 1, grindalf? ^^

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2009) [#8]
Hmm that sounds pretty cool, right now i am playing with vertices but it is quite hard to achieve the right effect.

Rroff(Posted 2009) [#9]
It might be possible with abuse of the toweling code.

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2009) [#10]
Can you please tell me what that is.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#11]
You could always model a low poly wave that uses alpha textures which is flattened at both ends, and then use scaling to make them work. With clever textures and blending you should be able to make them tile and even bend round corners.
You could even check the depth(linepick?) to make them stretch up, scale forward then flatten with a particle effect for the "crash".

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2009) [#12]
Oooo sounds exciting, i will attempt this.

Knight #51(Posted 2009) [#13]
That battle with Sephiroth was awsome. Took me forever to beat it.