Is there a graphics width limit?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Is there a graphics width limit?

bridgeco(Posted 2009) [#1]
Does Blitz3D / DirectX 7 impose an upper limit on the graphics width that can be rendered to?

I'm interested in using Matrox's Triple Head 2 Go adaptor, which looks to the computer like a 3840x1024 screen, and splits this to three monitors to display. If I've got a graphics card that is capable of this, will it be possible to render up to this resolution in 3d?

Thanks,

James

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#2]
I believe DX7 imposes a 2048 x 2048 limitation. DX9 removed it.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#3]
DX7 does indeed have a maximum width of 2048 -- and since that is what B3D is based on, you'll be out of luck unless you use a 3rd party DX9 video library or something.

Do note that Matrox' triple head 2 go depends on your existing video adapter do to the actual 3D acceleration, so the actual functionality depends on your video card as well. Some have absolute horrendous performance once you go too big, so keep in mind that a lot of games may end up be unplayably slow anyway on such a large surface...

jtassinari(Posted 2009) [#4]
i take advantega of this post to ask in there are some resoluion not supported, as for instance 1280*768, my 13'' laptop.

sometime i have strange result when i move away from 3/4 res propotions....

cheers,

jTassinari

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#5]
Any resolutions greater than your current desktop settings can cause problems too when running in windowed mode.

Aside from the scenarios mentioned, any resolutions that your graphics card is capable of can be accessed by Blitz.
The GfxModeExists() and GfxMode3dExists() ommands can identify the resolutions available.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#6]
Texture and image also impose 2048

Santiworld(Posted 2011) [#7]
if i want to make a blitzbasic game with 3 monitors, can i set a bigger resolution than 2048???

each monitor has a 1920x1080 resolution

regards !

Rroff(Posted 2011) [#8]
As people posted in this thread originally DX7 appears to be limited to 2048x2048 for resolution.

Rroff(Posted 2011) [#9]
Although it might be possible to do something with render to texture w/ fastext and blitting to a secondry window? would be a small performance hit and a bit beyond my current experience to implement.