Making A Proper Game Engine.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Making A Proper Game Engine.

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#1]
I was wondering how I would go about making a proper game engine?

I don't have much experience with game engines of any kind, and
seriously doubt that my P.U.K.I game engine is really a proper one
since all it really is, is a list of heavily commented globals whose
values you change to modify your game.

What would I have to do to make P.U.K.I look more like a professional game engine?
(A Blitz3D specific one. I don't care about it interfacing with other languages.)

Thanks!

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#2]
Basically, to make a game engine you need to decide the scope of it... what will it ultimately be able to do... the definition of an engine is weak, but the bottom line is that you should be able to make a complete game with it... which of course means scene, sound, GUI, actor, object, load/save etc... management and control. Looking at the puki thing when I did, you seem to want to do a platformer game?

How fancy you want to get with it is up to you. For example, I initially set out to create a simple tile-map system but as I coded it I kept thinking "It would be nice to be able to do this or that... even though it was unlikely I was going to need it for my game. So i stopped and considered what it was that I was actually making. To make a game, it needs to manage all those things above and more... so I decided to encapsulate the game engine code from the game itself... which is why I am looking at TileMax as an engine now since it could be used to make a completely different type of game.

Even I am making something different with it now than I originally set out to... the new game, technically speaking, could be done differently, but since I have this Tile system going I might as well use it :)

I am also considering opening up TileMax to the community as a joint project... maybe lol... its all going to depend on how much time I get to code in the near future (going back to my full time job... parental vacation is over)

Cheers...

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#3]
Make a game. Then pick out all the bits you could use in another game. That's a game engine. Now write another game with that game engine, making additions and changes as you see fit. Now when you finish that game, pick out the reusable bits again. Now you have a better game engine. Rinse and repeat.

You can't make a game engine until you've made a number of games because you won't know what needs to be in there (and more importantly what does not) and you won't know how people will want to use these features until you've used them. The best game engines just evolve.

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#4]
ok, lol!

I'll just keep going with my P.U.K.I game engine then and see where it
takes me :)

TileMax looks pretty cool by the way, is it downloadable yet?

Thanks for your replies,

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#5]
TileMax looks pretty cool by the way, is it downloadable yet?

Just this which has just the tiles running with actors that run around... left click on the lower split screen to add them... oh the editor is in there too such as it is... it needs a big rework IMHO lol