IS Game Design Software a TOP SECRET

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/IS Game Design Software a TOP SECRET

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2009) [#1]
Excuse me guys, are the tools game designers use a TOP SECRET?

I ask this, because in my daily life, when I speak of things like C++, Blitz3D, or Torque, TrueSpace, etc. why do ppl not know what I'm talking about? Even if they are not interested in developing games, why do they not not know what they are?

FlagDKT(Posted 2009) [#2]
Let's reverse your question:
"Why they should know?"

Do you know what brushes an artist uses to paint a portrait?
He could say that you should know it...

btw this isn't the right forum section to talk about that :)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#3]
Even if they are not interested in developing games, why do they not not know what they are?

- Do you know the names and specifics of all the tools required to rebuild a car engine?

- Do you know about all the types of paint, brushes and solvents that a painter would use?

If not: why would you expect someone with no interest in creating games to know what tools would be involved in doing that?

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#4]
Yes they are TOP Secret... SSssshhhhhhhhh!

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
Not sure why you'd expect somebody with no programming interest to know anything of the tools of the trade.

Yet, I do it myself. I spent 30 long seconds yesterday showing off my line intersection program to the g/f. I was really proud of it but she just looked at me like she'd caught me eating out of the garbage. WHY? Why doesn't she understand?!

IcyDefiance(Posted 2009) [#6]
You have to realize, programming isn't a popular hobby/job. Relatively few even have the brainpower in the right place to understand anything more complex than basic HTML, and even fewer even know what HTML is. It's like asking a guy who's lived in the city all his life to suddenly climb on a tractor and start farming. It's just not going to happen.

It is kind of frustrating, though... The only thing my friends appreciate of what I can do is when they see the actual finished game, and even then they can't how much work really went into it.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#7]
I know what are all these tools you mentioned, Amanda.
But I'd like to know what the big studios use, and those are kept even more secret. What software did they use for making textures, modelling, editing audio?
I mean the tools that are not proprietary of the studios themselves, of course.

It's funny how companies don't simply list the tools used like some indie guys do on their credits list.

Relatively few even have the brainpower in the right place to understand anything more complex than basic HTML

I can't understand basic HTML, but I find Blitz3D much easier.

The only thing my friends appreciate of what I can do is when they see the actual finished game, and even then they can't how much work really went into it.

Sad truth this is. People that are not into game development don't know about the high amount of work taken to do something simple.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
It's funny how companies don't simply list the tools used like some indie guys do on their credits list.

Why on earth should they?

Many of the large studios (e.g. Pixar, etc.) use proprietary software that's written / modified in-house, and mentioning the name(s) of these programs would be irrelevant to the rest of the world.
If they do use off-the-shelve software, what do they gain to mention it?

In the case of an indie, it's a little bit different in that they often use their movies and such as a resume of what they are capable of doing. In that case, advertising proficiency with certain programs can help them land a job on other projects. Larger studios don't have that motive, so why list it?

"Oh, and the accounting department used Microsoft Excel, and we drank starbucks coffee, and the director drove a lexus to work in the morning, and..."

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#9]

Why on earth should they?

[...]

If they do use off-the-shelve software, what do they gain to mention it?

I'm not saying they should, only that it is funny how they do not.

It wouldn't be irrelevant. Not to the ones that wish to know what they used.
Why do I wish they would say so? because that way I can know what software can achieve that result. If I like the texture work on a game, I'd surely like to know what software they used to make that. Or that animation. Or that sound-effect.

(don't bother saying "it doesn't matter the tool, only the artist". That is self-implied and not the kind of info I'm looking for.)

neoshaman(Posted 2009) [#10]
GAME DESIGNER use word, excel, visio, powerpoint, etc...

GAME PROGRAMER use C++, Blitz3D, torque, etc...

Programming is not designing game : P

By the way nobody care about the designer's jobs... not even you : P

Colonel_Klink(Posted 2009) [#11]
Unless a person is remotely interested in creating games, then knowing how a game is made, or what tools were used to make it isn't important.

Probably more people would know about C++ than they would Blitz3D, or Torque, TrueSpace, or any other gaming language. And this does depend upon ones circle of friends. For example, one of my friends who's into computers is interested in what I do, and knows about those aforementioned tools. Another friend, who is a mechanic, knows what a computer is, but hasn't a clue about those tools and probably wouldn't be interested in knowing about them.

John Blackledge(Posted 2009) [#12]
And the comment I really love is, "Yes, but the computer does it all, doesn't it?"
(John bangs head against wall.)

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#13]
some musicians state which strings pic ups toilet paper they use for studio and touring in the cd sleeves, then again im thinking they might get some money from that endorsement, which is basically what were talking about

way back when we were proactivly displaying the blitz3D logo in splash screens and box art (well the kooldog range anyhows) but to the punter it meant nothing or be detrimental to the game due to those that knew of klick n play and other game making languages of the time looking down on it as its put together by some mecano type non programming game kit

knowing blender, maya, truespace, lightwave et all and having them on your cv/portfolio works if you are looking for a job, but if you have one all you do is add that game and your job to the list for future reference

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#14]
Most companies will tell you what tools they use if you phone them..

They don't really care... they're not going to go out of their way to mention them on their web sites since its irrelevant to the published game but their not SECRET. They use their own level editors etc.. but if they use 3D Studio or something they don't care if you know that.

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#15]
And the comment I really love is, "Yes, but the computer does it all, doesn't it?"
Or you show someone a game you made, they seem impressed. Then you add that you did the programming but someone else did the graphics, and suddenly they seem less impressed. ;) Which is partly correct of course but in my case it was more like "oh but what else is in there, besides the graphics".

On the other hand, quickly scrolling a few thousand lines of code before people's eyes ("I typed in all this, line for line") does help a bit.

That being said I need to work on my game more. -_-

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#16]
Yet, I do it myself. I spent 30 long seconds yesterday showing off my line intersection program to the g/f. I was really proud of it but she just looked at me like she'd caught me eating out of the garbage. WHY? Why doesn't she understand?!
OMG i think we have more in common than i ever realised :D

WHY!!!

why do they not not know what they are?
Well i am "interested" in astronomy however, ask me what the diference between a blah frequency filtered blah microwave blah telescope and a whotsit doofer refractive blah blah polarised infra... telescope and i wouldnt have a clue.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#17]
my brother likes star gazing, but hes in a high light pollution area and doesnt use a telescope as such, myself i can see the international space station or some bright star most mornings on the way to work and last week looked up and saw orions belt, least i think it was, it looked the same and all but spun into the movie logo

so yeah we all take an interest in things other than our careers and hobbies, but at the end of the day we dont need to know the ins and outs of things, some just take away the magic.

i tend to avoid the kitchen areas at work and all processes before i get the finished meals ready to dispatch, i just tell people that i prefer to belive that pixies do all the work and meals just magic themseleves into boxes

GfK(Posted 2009) [#18]
Where I live there's very little light polution and I can see millions of stars. The only major "light pollution" I get is from the moon. Can't see your hand in front of your face, most nights.

Haven't got a telescope.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#19]
as my father was a photographer in the army (albeit as a hobby and some static shots of tanks went uncredited in some MoD/janes book) one of my teachers asked me in class what SLR meant
"i dunno, i thought it was a brand"

sure he used to have his own B&W darkroom (our bathroom) in the 80's but that didnt mean i knew anything other than 'this end faces out' and 'remove lense cap'

GfK(Posted 2009) [#20]
SLR = Single Lens Reflex ;)

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#21]
i know that now, i asked him when i got home and he explained what it did and why its better than 'your mums camera' but up to that point i knew his cameras were better than my mums and slr was just something id seen on one or 5 of em ;)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#22]
are the tools game designers use a TOP SECRET?

Maybe not the tools. But when a company has special code, special tricks or technics, they may be kept secret.

Walt Disney always made sure that none of his workers ever saw more of the entire movie production process than his very own, little work. (Eg. tweeners) Disney was afraid when they knew too much then someone would take over his business.

Probably it's about the same today. I mean, do you know the addresses of people who invest a couple of millions in your game design crew? Do you know where to sell the game so it will be mainstream in shops? There may be good and bad partners, and most companies won't tell you these secrets about successful games production.