tumbling dice

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/tumbling dice

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm trying to create code to (roll, tumble) dice in 3D.

However, the instructions that I use (RotateMesh, TurnMesh) both work in such a way :

Stand in the center of an object, spin the object around you like the earth revolving around the sun.

I don't want that kind of motion, but the type of motion I do want is when a person throws a dice onto a board!

Midimaster(Posted 2009) [#2]
you have to move the camera a bit backward, to stand outside of the object:
Graphics3D 800,600
dice=CreateCube()
camera=CreateCamera()
light1=CreateLight(1)

MoveEntity camera, -3,3,-5

Repeat
     TurnEntity dice,Rnd(3,4),Rnd(3,4),Rnd(3,4)
		TranslateEntity dice,Rnd(-0.1,-0.2),0,Rnd(0.2,0.3)
		UpdateWorld
		RenderWorld
		Flip
Until KeyHit(1)

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks MM,

How do you guys survive in this world.
I'm barey struggling to pay the rent , the phone bill, etc. and you blitzers just give away free advice! One day, I hope I'lll be that good and wealthy to acheive the same effect.

Do you mooch off of your girlfriends?

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#4]
I'm barey struggling to pay the rent , the phone bill, etc. and you blitzers just give away free advice! One day, I hope I'lll be that good and wealthy to acheive the same effect.

you dont have to be wealthy to have knowledge.

Do you mooch off of your girlfriends?

I fail to see what that has to do with ANYTHING!

but in general ask and you shall recieve as long as its reasonable and wont take much time.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#5]
That's the joy of sitting in front of the screen staring at code... it costs nothing :) (alright, save for the electricity bill)

But yeah, on creation, all the entities in B3D are created at 0,0,0 world-coords, including the camera, so it's always best to move the entities or camera right away :)

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#6]
You could improve it even more by using a Physics library (don't ask me which one =X ), because that would cause the dice to really spin around the point of collision with the table or whatever (like it happens in real life).