AWC in development

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/AWC in development

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi
I'm working on a(nother) world creator. My starting point was the code posted by Luke Hoschke, creator of Blitz World Assembler.

Link:
Click here!

Hope you give me some feedback.

screenshot:

thank's

added BlitzMax support: "awc loader.bmx" and two BMax demos

Juan

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#2]
Can't test it right now, but it's looking pretty good. I think a world creator should be custom made for a certain game engine. This allows to support special features of the engine, eg. VIS Occlusion. Most important is a smooth creative flow. Reduce the number of clicks etc. for the most common actions. Stay away from putting everything into sub-sub-sub-menus, this is killing the flow. Maybe think about a walktrough-and-drop-things mode. I prevere this mode. Just walk around in the map like in the game, and frequently hit ctrl-v here and there, to paste/drop some crates or barrels at the current camera location.

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#3]
thank's
that's the idea, only a menu and at most a submenu
the objects created via right click are droped on the world at the mouse position and when created you are in "move object" mode so you can leave it where you want.
I will implement a "Camera Mode" to walk or fly over the world
Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V are implemented and working for the list of objects selected as rotate, scale, color etc.

Juan

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#4]
AWC news

Added Camera support: initial position, cls color, zoom, range, fog..

Added BlitzMax support: two demos and a loader

Juan

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#5]
AWC news

Added SkyBox support

Juan

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#6]
It looks good and quite easy to get to grips with.. Haven't had time to really get into i yet, but I have high hopes! :)

Rroff(Posted 2009) [#7]
BTW I noticed your using BCF for the B3D UI - by tweaking the code to render into an image* ~30 times a second instead of every frame and tweaking the mouse code to force a render update on a mouse event (you have to call the mouse function every frame) you can get a good 20x framerate boost.

* theres an easy way to do this without changing the entire BCF code base.

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#8]
it sounds good, thank's
i didn't get inside the BCF code, only when i really needed to be sure about something or to get some internal varialbles. I think that very soon i'll must have to take a time to analyze the internals in more detail.
when that moment comes i'll ask you about how to do that!

at this time i have a routine that handles or detect changes in the mouse (call event if you want) and based on that i dispatch some features as drag the camera, move, scale, click and the like in conjuntion with the state of the program. But i leave the mose and render code of the GUI intact. I have had some headaches, but i'm surviving.

thank's

Juan

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#9]
AWC news

Added Textures support

Juan