DrawMovie Compatibility Question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/DrawMovie Compatibility Question

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi everybody. I have a report about some Problems with the DirectShow Movie commands when a BMP File should be played as a movie. Could you please help me and test if you can play a BMP File with the Movie Commands?

Maybe something like the example in the Online Manual:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/b3ddocs/command.php?name=OpenMovie&ref=goto

Thank you!

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#2]
Sounds a bit odd why you wanna 'Play' a bmp file, would converting it to a looping GIF be better?

Anyway, OpenMovie() returns 0 whenever I try with a bitmap file.

WindowsXP SP3 DX version 9.0c

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks. I am asking this question because there are some of my Demos out there that are using a BMP for "ultimate compatibility" and simplicity (instead of the cutscene movies in a real game) - cause I yet didn't have the time to make movies for the demos.

It is also a little bit of an adventure to use a Movie, because you can never be sure if a system will support the codec chosen by you. So I have added an optional Codec installer: if the movie handle is zero then (in theory) an external Exe (part of game distribution) may be started in order to install the required codec. Too much troubles for a demo...

BMP in DirectShow works on SP2 and older. I was pretty sure this would also work in future versions, because it's so basic. But what can we do, this is Microsoft.