Memory access violation but OK in safe mode!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Memory access violation but OK in safe mode!

mulawa1(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've been writing programs using Blitz3D (but only its 2D features) for many years and have never had any problems like this. I have spent weeks seeking a solution - maybe someone here will spot what I've missed. This problem has possibly occurred on 3 out of the hundreds that my games run on but it is now solid on one (and only one) of my computers.

1. Windows XP SP3
2. Dell Latitude D610
3. Programming language - BlitzBasic 3D
4. Problem: Almost immediately all my programs produce a "Memory access violation" popup which I suspect comes from Blitz not Windows BUT
5. is ok in Safe Mode
6. is also ok if I rebuild in a later version (1.100) vs 1.98 - so why not just rebuild? - because I have 100s of CDs still to sell!

What I've tried (in no particular order):
1. Removing McAfee completely.
2. Comparing the process list from Safe Mode and Normal and stopping each program not in both.
3. Disabling some devices.
4. Restoring to a point before the problem started.
5. Reinstalling DirectX
6. Updating drivers.
7. Checking the Event Viewer (no errors reported)
8. I have another HD for my Dell that has a fault but still works well enough for testing. I swapped the disks and the problem went away. This eliminates a lot of possible explanations.

Please note that I can run the program direct from the CD but this still gives the same error.

Naturally I've scoured the Internet for something else to try - there does seem to be evidence of this happening to other people where they just give up.

Peter
www.mulawa.net

Matty(Posted 2009) [#2]
Is it a Tablet PC. Blitz I think had some issues with tablet PCs from memory.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#3]
This eliminates a lot of possible explanations.

it sure does, some setting or peice of software is causing your hard drive to hate blitz writting and/or reading to it. Does this happen on EXEs and Source code ? or just Source Code execution ?

if you havent tried yet, compile the program and run it.

Anything wierd showing up in MSCONFIG ?

Please note that I can run the program direct from the CD but this still gives the same error.

cant write to a cd in b3d, but im sure you know that. So im assuming you are just loading data.

Since its not just the hard drive, and is also other media (but only with hd.a ) then it has to be a program / process / setting being loaded that is on the hard drive.a , I dont see any other explanation right off the bat, running safe mode doesnt load the extras in msconfig , and startup. So that would remove the problem.

mulawa1(Posted 2009) [#4]
************** PROBLEM SOLVED *****************

I got the clue from an earlier MAV post here ... DEP!!!!!!

Which I didn't even know I had on my XP.

For those who want the full answer:

1. My Computer - Right Click - Properties
2. Advanced Tab
3. Performance - Settings
4. Data Execution Prevention
5. Add... your program