collada support

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/collada support

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2009) [#1]
On other game programming websites, I'm reading a lot of collada support for their graphics. My question to you blitz programmers out here is how important is collada support to you guys. would you like collada support for your blitz3D creations.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#2]
What's Collada?

Matty(Posted 2009) [#3]
I'm sure it would be really useful to some.

What I'd love to have, and would possibly pay for, is a converter from dotXSI (3.0->5.0 any of these) into .b3d. They both seem to support similar features but the programming of such a convertor feels as if it is beyond me. Using ultimate unwrap is impossible for me, as I have not been able to see their website in any browser, except through one of those nasty anonymouse proxy things, for years.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2009) [#4]
collada is an xml file script included with many applications like TrueSpace, 3DSMax, XSI, etc. It exports models in the .dae format that in turn can be read by game engines and languages provided the engine or language supports that format. Torque3D is one such engine that is supporting collada.

skidracer(Posted 2009) [#5]
Collada is designed for toolchains, it is not intended nor suitable for publishing the final geometry as loaded by a game.

With a tool like Ultimate Unwrap the Collada schema provides a standard format so one can import from ANY modern 3D application and export as B3D which IS designed for storing models for use by games at runtime.