Memory access violation on startup

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Memory access violation on startup

DrakeX(Posted 2009) [#1]
I haven't used B3D in a few years, and I needed it recently to make a quick little image processor. So I opened it up, coded something, it worked fine. I saved it, and closed out.

Then I opened B3D a few hours later, opened the same code that was working perfectly fine before, F5 - Memory Access Violation. Huh?

In fact, now any B3D program just MAVs on startup, even a completely empty file. Debug enabled or not, build a full EXE or not, nothing works.

I have to restart in order to get it working again, and I don't know what breaks it.

I'd take a shot at debugging the resulting EXE but it doesn't contain any debug info, the AV occurs deep within some system DLL, and it gives no useful stacktrace.

I'm using an Athlon 64 X2 4600+, GeForce 8600, Windows XP SP2.

Warner(Posted 2009) [#2]
It sounds like there is something (dll?) that isn't closed somehow. Maybe you could take a look at the system processes?

mulawa1(Posted 2009) [#3]
You could investigate my Data Execution Prevention solution that solved a similar problem for me - see

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=86872

Peter

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#4]
But wasn't the DEP Problem solved in one of the recent versions?
To me it sounds like some general system goofyness. I'd try System Repair, as well as to reinstall DirectX. XPSP2 works well here.

Floyd(Posted 2009) [#5]
I once had something like this with Blitz3D, after playing with some files from a magazine cover disk.

Every program crashed immediately (Memory Access Violation) when run from the IDE. Nothing I tried would fix this so I finally resorted to System Restore, going back to the previous day. I'm guessing that some system DLL had been changed.

Of course I knew it was working the day before. If you haven't used Blitz in several years then this may not be an option. You might try uninstalling/reinstalling Blitz3D.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#6]
i had the same problem but never got an answer. works on my new machine, i remember trying the different versions and found that the earlier versions debugged successfully

DrakeX(Posted 2009) [#7]
Gwah, I had forgotten about this topic. mulawa1, yours was the issue! I've had problems with DEP with some other programs (like ZBrush) but never thought something like B3D would have issues with it. Turning off DEP for my app fixed the problem. Blah. Now to figure out if it's possible to turn it off for any compiled B3D EXE without turning it off altogether :P

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
Are you running the latest update to B3D? IIRC the DEP issue was supposed to be fixed with that.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#9]
Now to figure out if it's possible to turn it off for any compiled B3D EXE without turning it off altogether :P

At least on Windows XP you can set individual apps' DEP status. Not sure for the likes of Vista etc...