NAT Punch Through - Multiplayer

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/NAT Punch Through - Multiplayer

BLaBZ(Posted 2009) [#1]
Looking to create a solid multiplayer mode, probably going to need NAT punch-through, any suggestions?!

I'm not very well versed on multiplayer connections so any information is helpful

Thanks!

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#2]
You just need to route the appropriate protocol / port to the IP of your server or put it in the DMZ

BLaBZ(Posted 2009) [#3]
So for example if I use port 80(http) I should be able to have full upstream and downstream capabilities?

I could put the server in DMZ but what about clients who are behind a router/firewall?

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#4]
When they connect to you, the router knows where to send the return packets... shouldn't be an issue. Its unannounced connections that the router/nat gets in the way of... which are connections to servers.

BLaBZ(Posted 2009) [#5]
I'm a little confused,
on the client side of things, if the client is behind a firewall with DMZ turned off, I should have no problem delivering the UDP packets back to the computer?

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#6]
correct.. when your computer initiates communication with another computer it will allow the return path; however, if your computer connects to another that did not initiate the connection, it will not know where to send that request unless a path is created; hence, port forwarding or lacking that... the DMZ (not so recommended). Of course, having your computer in the DMZ is like pulling down your pants in a gay bar and wiggling it about... not that theres anything wrong with that... erm...

Wings(Posted 2009) [#7]
Client side probably needs to nat ports to certain ip adress.

this is offcorse if clients open a udp server port to respond to..

_Skylly
Iam woundering is there a need for client to open a udp server port ?

(this is why myself uses TCP ip first place to simply for clients)

ServerUDP=7080 ; Offical ip

Natrouter=offical ip adress
Client1=192.168.0.5 connects to Server 7080
Client2=192.168.0.6 Connects to server 7080

I realy dont think this will work with UDP.. unless ClientNat router is portmaping UDP.. at least this is how i have to do in varius official games. deltaforce etc.. :)

when again there is this new mode of routers pnpudp i think its caled...