Blitz3D not as popular?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz3D not as popular?

BLaBZ(Posted 2009) [#1]
I don't want this to sound negative in any way but...
Does it seem like Blitz3D has become less popular over the years?
If so.. why?

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#2]
Because it's old, exclusive to Windows platforms and "only" uses DirectX7 technology?

For some people, this is an issue. Or a perceived issue, at least.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#3]
And from a local perspective... with BlitzMax being cross platform with miniB3D etc etc etc, and a much more dynamic language...I switched and I LOVED Blitz3D. I honestly barely look at the B3D forums anymore.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#4]
So you're saying we should all fly over to BlitzMax hmmm?

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#5]
I can't put BlitzMax down.. I love it.. my wife hates it LOL

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#6]
For me, Blitz3d is receiving a new lease with the addition of Xors.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#7]
..B3D is nice but more and more lacking necessary features/expansion..there are few very nice extensions for B3D such as already mentioned Xors3D as well as few others, but those extensions you have for Bmax too, except Bmax is multiplatform, compiling faster code and its very very nice with its OO stuff...I use to be hardcore B3D user and now same as Skully, havent spend any time on B3D forums appart of posting solutions if somebody asking for suggestions/help...Bmax all way, I kindly recommend..

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#8]
Also, there's a trend for people to look for the 'Newest thing'.
It doesn't suprise me that B3D has maybe lost popularity over the years, it's been a while now, and many old-timers have switched to BMax, but B3D still has a hardcore following ;)

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#9]
If a decent and stable engine comes along that has more speed than blitz3d, for bmax, then i'll switch. I heard minib3d is actually slower than blitz3d. XORS3D looks cracking though and may well get me to switch.

Krischan(Posted 2009) [#10]
I still love Blitz3D - it is easy to learn and use, well arranged and you can see the results very fast. I still hope that it gets refurbished some day. What are the alternatives to Blitz3D? I tried other languages like DarkBasic, C++, BlitzMax - but none of them convinced me like Blitz3D did... For many projects it is still sufficient (to me).

GfK(Posted 2009) [#11]
Because it's old, exclusive to Windows platforms and "only" uses DirectX7 technology?
Here's my take on this.

The majority of people who ever did anything with Blitz3D have since moved onto more recent products; i.e. Blitzmax and MiniB3D. The majority of people who are still using Blitz3D, are people who are happy just to be able to tinker with it, and those who prefer to blame Blitz3D for being "old", "windows only" and "only DX7" rather than accept their own bone idle laziness for never getting anything done with it.

:)

Beaker(Posted 2009) [#12]
I still use Blitz3D for some projects. Compatibility/stability is usually more important to me (and my clients) than the latest tech. I do use MiniB3D sometimes as well (in BlitzMax).

It usually comes down to which libs I need. I use FastLibs in Blitz3D for special effects, but BlitzMax has great non-3D extensions - for XML etc (mostly from Bruceys mods).

Yasha(Posted 2009) [#13]
Second most of what has already been said... Blitz3D gets better and better the more you get familiar with it (true of anything). If I need something it doesn't do, I use BlitzMax, but that's rarely been a problem. It's definitely an unparalleled prototyping platform. Following on from GfK's point, I'm finding it more and more fun to stick with Blitz3D as time goes by simply because everyone's level of expertise and general academic interest in doing things seems to be much greater now, making the community a much more focused and helpful place, along with the huge number of addons and code samples available that really speed things along.

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#14]
I havent even been here for a year.
And I'll be here for a LONG time.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#15]
Actually, I agree with GfK.

For me, Blitz3d is receiving a new lease with the addition of Xors.

MadJack, why not use Xors3D with BlitzMax? It's way more flexible. Maybe for TU3 eh?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#16]
Some people choose their 3d engine based on a list of features seen in huge AAA titles. Maybe they think this gives them the chance to create a product of a similar complexity. But then most people never do more than the beginnings of their next uber game engine. If you really want to create a "next gen" game engine then you have to invest a couple of million dollars. It won't be so much the question "Blitz3D or not", but rather "does the producer pay the production".

These days the costs of games have reached the level of hollywood movie productions.

So, when you have no budget then I guess B3D is absolutely ok. IMHO there must be a niche for low tech productions, just like movies that are not like those costy "latest-fx" shows.

IMHO It's better to make a full game in DX7-B3D than a walktrough with nothing but some DX9 features.

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#17]
The majority of people who ever did anything with Blitz3D have since moved onto more recent products; i.e. Blitzmax and MiniB3D. The majority of people who are still using Blitz3D, are people who are happy just to be able to tinker with it, and those who prefer to blame Blitz3D for being "old", "windows only" and "only DX7" rather than accept their own bone idle laziness for never getting anything done with it.

Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive (it's early and I haven't woken up properly yet), but I can't help but feel I'm being a little misrepresented through people's responses to my answer.

*I* don't personally believe that Blitz3D being "old, exclusive to Windows platforms and 'only' uses DirectX7 technology" is a problem, or even a limitation for the sorts of things I want to do. I merely offered it up as a collection of common criticisms of Blitz3D that may well be reasons for people to move on to BlitzMax or other.

That being said, I am undoubtedly nothing more than a "tinkerer" (and likely bone idle lazy as well as it turns out), but I wonder how many people automatically and unnecessarily moved on to BlitzMax in their never ending quest to find a language that combines the Unreal Engine with a MakeGame() function? To those, however, who have found a better language that more easily and efficiently allows them to achieve their lofty software-engineering goals, I salute you. I hope I can join your ranks someday.

In the meantime, I shall continue to snuggle with Blitz3D and enjoy every DLL-enhanced moment of it. :o)

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#18]
Indeed

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#19]
Hey why is the Build Engine not as popular?

I make your words the same as mine.
I keep with B3D because I don't have the skill to use it to it's full potential (and without using userlibs, just the native command set), and because I don't see how using recent features is going to make the game better if it's animation, audio and gameplay suck (all these aspects can be fully applied in B3D). Also, because I don't like putting a semicolon at the end of every damn line.

Seriously, can you finish a full N64 quality game of your own?
(making a puzzle game or some demo of a spaceship flying around isn't a full game)

Yes, B3D is not perfect, but then other engines out there aren't either.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#20]
I wouldn't bad mouth B3D personally, I liked it alot! but I think you need to get over a small learning curve before you realize just how cool Max is. Some don't get that far with such a short-term demo...

If someone put Blide Free together with a longer BlitzMax demo & package that with miniB3D (+demos) and I think there would be a mass exodus from B3D to Max. Offer a discount to B3D owners and ding!

Just thinking out loud... ;)

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#21]
What I've been wondering is, if you already own Blitz3D and you get BlitzMax, can you have the Blitz3D SDK for free?

Matty(Posted 2009) [#22]
Doubt it.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#23]
I have Blitz3DSDK and I really like it. I'm using minib3d at the moment becouse I want to port the game I'm working on now to MacOs too, but it is a great engine, and when used from within Max it is a joy to work with.

Banshee(Posted 2009) [#24]
>What I've been wondering is, if you already own Blitz3D and you get BlitzMax, can you have the Blitz3D SDK for free?

I have Max & B3D (and MaxGUI) and no i've not got the option to download the SDK anywhere. It's by the by to me though as I see multiplatform as essential to both my work and my personal projects.

B3D is still a wonderful product and I refuse to knock it although I now rarely use the program at all, I generally work in Max because i'm comfortable doing things in it now.

I still ocassionally fire up B3D to do some very simple task or other, I think the last time was part of a B3D/Windows COM object project to port my iTunes library and cover art pictures over to a MySQL database, things like that which take less than a page or two of rough uncommented dirty code in B3D.

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#25]
MadJack, why not use Xors3D with BlitzMax? It's way more flexible. Maybe for TU3 eh?

Heh - yeah, but I just can't face converting my codebase over to BMax. It's enough to be going back and reworking code I wrote years ago (to work with Xors).

Rroff(Posted 2009) [#26]
Prefer blitz3d when I can - and with userlibs and stuff you can work around most things... few things still bug me tho...

But as a language its so more friendly and easy to work with, I just don't feel at home in blitzmax even after using it for awhile.

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#27]
I tested XOrs3D , it's just not as efficient as blitz3d.
With few objects, it run faster, but the more you increase entities count, lesser it run...

So, for the moment, as there is no module for blitzmax allowing to have the same convenience blitz3d offers, there's no way for me to leave Blitz3d.

And, I just think MikhailV saved the blitz3d world with fastImage and FastExt ^^ . ( And I'm pretty sur i'm not the only one to think the same )

BlitzMax should have been the future for Blitz3d... but as the 3d module is a vapor-ware, there is probably no way to see one day, a real "official" 3D support for blitzmax. that makes all the difference.

ps : I'm not in partnership with FastLibs, I'm just really glad to discover blitz3d again thanks to this new stuff :) .

t3K|Mac(Posted 2009) [#28]
there are ony a few parts in b3d that bug me: missing antialiasing, slow bone-animation and the half-hearted collision system when using moving objects. the rest: pure love!!!

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#29]
but as the 3d module is a vapor-ware,

It seems a bit unfair to call it vapor-ware, given that it's been freely downloadable for months. I mean, you're certainly free to have an opinion on it's qualities, but to suggest that it doesn't exist when people are downloading it, using it and releasing demos made with it, does seem a little bit desperate.

But when in Rome, I guess..

Yasha(Posted 2009) [#30]
missing antialiasing

It's worth pointing out that you can do anti-aliasing of a sort with FastExtension too, although the resolution is limited.

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#31]
It seems a bit unfair to call it vapor-ware, given that it's been freely downloadable for months. I mean, you're certainly free to have an opinion on it's qualities, but to suggest that it doesn't exist when people are downloading it, using it and releasing demos made with it, does seem a little bit desperate

So you assume the max3d module is finished ? :)

I downloaded it, and , all I can say : It's a great part, but I can't say I can use it "as is".

It was supposed to be released as an "official" module (free or not, it does not matter), and for sure, it has been released, but incomplete, and not compiled. I specified :
"official" 3D support for blitzmax

As it is free, it can be great, but whatever it is, it is not the native solution involving 3D with blitzmax. So I just know that the topic that originally spoke of BlitzMax ( when in Beta version ), talked about the future "Max3D" that have never been released.
I don't think we can compare blitz3d and its "real" engine, to blitzmax and a "solution" for 3D released "at your own risk"... ( I read the license agreement ^^ )
So, if "a" module for 3D has been released, it's not the Max3D engine we expected... and we eventually can say :
Max3D is a vapor-ware, as the 3D module released is a palliative solution.
Maybe That's just my opinion as you mention, but I think I'm pretty much more near from the truth than from "just an opinion".

Whatever, it's not the main subject of this topic.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#32]
So you assume the max3d module is finished ? :)

No, I said it wasn't vapor-ware. Tip: If you need to change the question, you should probably stop digging yourself a hole.

So, if "a" module for 3D has been released, it's not the Max3D engine we expected... and we eventually can say : Max3D is a vapor-ware, as the 3D module released is a palliative solution.

No, I think you'll find that going from "It's not what I expected" to "It doesn't exist" is a logical fallacy.

Maybe That's just my opinion as you mention

Well yes, I suppose you can have the opinion that something doesn't exist, but when you've just admitted in the previous paragraph that you've downloaded it, you're kind of undercutting yourself.

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#33]
You just turn my words into an other sense.
I only say that the module for 3D that M.sibly released has nothing from the module it was originally intended to be ( M.Sibly himself admitted it, so I don't understand why you don't understand it :/ ) . nothing more, nothing less.
So : the module I downloaded is NOT "Max3D" as Max3D was originnaly designed. the module we can download is just a "third party module" ... that is named "max3d" ... But I can make a module ( like minib3d or else ) and name it max3D. It won't be the one that was said to be "cross platform" ( and all other features M.Sibly spoke of )

I don't have any opinion like "it is bad" or "it is good", that it has not been released, so keep cool boy !
There is two matters :
+> the fact
+> my opinion
- the fact is :
a module for 3D support has been released , but it is not the one that was originally annouced ( cross platform, OpenGl <and I heard about a Dx9/OGl , but that is not official, so I don't mention it> and with full support from the author <SAV> ). The module is a DX9 engine, for windows released "as is".
The "real" Max3D module announced has been canceled. <this is the M.Sibly's words>

Then,
- My opinion is :
I don't care about the way it has been distributed, all I want from a dev-Suite is to be efficient and implicate its author in the robustness of the product. So I prefer Blitz3D . And for this opinion, you sure have not to say you 're ok or not, that 's not the point. I say what I want ^^ either you disagree.
So, I just say what I think, as it is asked in the main title of the topic...

ps : I think here, you got rid of many other topics speaking of max3d, and you just want to blame me now... And you should not do it ^^.
I'm French, so my "english" is not always very good...maybe I have not said exactly what I mean, Do you want to blame me for that ?

If you speak French here is what I think :
Le module 3D a été distribué il y a un petit moment, mais ça n'empêche pas qu'il n'est ni terminé, ni "officielle".
Donc, c'est un module 3D distribué gratuitement, ce qui est très bien, mais ça ne lui donne pas l'ampleur du module 3D originalement annoncé.
Et ça n'est pas une opinion, mais un fait.
Mon opinion ? +> je n'en pense rien du tout. Je dis juste que je prefere les suites logicielles "completes" et non une suite où le module "principal" ( principal pour un projet 3D, ça va sans dire ) n'est pas certifié. Et ça, je ne vois pas en quoi tu as ton mot à dire. C'est mon point de vue, et par conséquent, tu ne peux le critiquer, ou même le contester. Je n'impose à personne d'être en accord avec ce que je dis sur ce dernier point, en revanche, tout le monde se doit de respecter l'opinion des autres, et ne pas leur imposer leur propre mode de vie.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#34]
Come on guys, no need to turn this into another Quote Wars thread.

The "real" Max3D module announced has been canceled. <this is the M.Sibly's words>

Wow, I did not know that. That's bad :(

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#35]
I tested XOrs3D , it's just not as efficient as blitz3d.
With few objects, it run faster, but the more you increase entities count, lesser it run...

I don't know your setup, but I don't think that's true - it's certainly not true with animated objects for example. Blitz3d's DX7 rendering performance is very mediocre - so far I'm finding Xors is faster.

_33(Posted 2009) [#36]
I'm leaning towards a combination of BlitzMax and Xors3D, but Blitz3D is a really good base still for people to learn 3D for real time applications.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#37]
>>I tested XOrs3D , it's just not as efficient as blitz3d.
With few objects, it run faster, but the more you increase entities count, lesser it run...<<

..very wrong...try to put 150 animated characters visible at once, each with 40 bones and let me know what FPS you will get with B3D...on another side, Xors3D eating it up with no problems at all with 40FPS on my 7600GT.. B3D die instantly with same scene setup..

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#38]
BS/NA

I seem to recall the Xors team recently tweaked how Xors handles animated chars which led to good fps increases. If BobbyS was testing before that fix, he might have gotten poor results.

Regards static meshes, I'm not so certain about Xors being decisively faster. I would expect it to be, but there's other attractions such as shaders/batched rendering etc..

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#39]
..yup..well..for static meshes absolutely depending are you going to use shaders and stuff over it, so depending on such use, I guess FPS results may vary..but so far, my tests showing that if there is any difference, its minimal and visual results are dramatically different(better with Xors)..by testing Xors with Bmax, i got even faster results than if I use it with B3D..

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#40]
>>I tested XOrs3D , it's just not as efficient as blitz3d.
With few objects, it run faster, but the more you increase entities count, lesser it run...<<

..very wrong...try to put 150 animated characters visible at once, each with 40 bones and let me know what FPS you will get with B3D...on another side, Xors3D eating it up with no problems at all with 40FPS on my 7600GT.. B3D die instantly with same scene setup..

Who speaks of animated entity ?
Try with static mesh only. Blitz3D supports when Xors just crash.

Maybe my test are wrong, but for sure I don't speaj about "animated characters".

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#41]
Well, finishing a quality product (being a game or tool) in any language is hard work. Moving to a new language can make certain things easier for you but in the end, YOU have to finish it, not the used language.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#42]
well..having 150 characters on sight and each character is 7K polys, is quite massive amount of polys having in mind that everything is animated...regarding static geometry, I cant say for sure what is case with you, but long as geometry is correct it should work on same way..my results are solid and 250K level I had in B3D is running faster with Xors3d..i had to adjust few things for use with Xors3D, but thats something necessary because of shaders use, so long as geometry is correct I see no problems..if you using 3dsmax for your level geometry, try to select it and then test it with STL check modifier so you can see is your geometry ready or not for shader driven engine (what is not case with B3D)..

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#43]
ok, I'll give a try with animated mesh.

for now, here are my results using pivot, cube, sphere :

All test are done without copyentity

1000 cubes
blitz3d : 1200 fps
xors3d : 1800 fps

1000 pivots
blitz3d : 1800 fps
xors3d : 2600 fps

1000 spheres ( defaut parameter = 8 segments )
blitz3d : 400 fps
xors3d : 320 fps

1000 spheres 12 segments
blitz3d : 380 fps
xors3d : 80 fps

So, on my machine ( and it has been tested on other machines from other users , resulting on the same comparisons ), XOrs3D does not support a mass of meshes.

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#44]
Bobysait

Interesting that Xors is faster on cubes but not on spheres.
Being lazy myself, is there any chance you could post your test code?

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#45]
I tested this with blitz3d , Blitz3d+XOrs and blitzmax+XOrs

( here is the blitzmax test , it should be very easy to translate into blitz3d )
To run the same test with "blitz3D only", just remove the "x"s.

Modded(Posted 2009) [#46]
I have to say I thought my time with b3d was coming to a sad farewell, I was just playing new games and it was making think ‘look at these super shiny things, wish I could find a way to make such shiny goodness’

But then I keep finding all these ‘next generation’ special effects that are so raved about in modern game engines can be incorporated into b3d, I’ve recently been playing around a fair bit with dot3 and with a bit of tweaking from FE the results can look every bit as good as some major game releases.. if run slightly slower….

Though I guess I will also just fall into the tinkering category, never finished a project to release level, don’t really intend on it. Just happy enjoying discovering new techniques and investigating new dll's!

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#47]
bobbysait

Hmm - don't know about BlitzMax, but using your code with Blitz3d + Xors and Blitz3d native, I get the following;

Xors + Blitz3d (sphere test, 12 segments, 702768 tris) = 70fps

Blitz3d native (sphere test, 12 segments, 702768 tris) = 37fps

Note that for the Blitz3d native version, I used an fps function from the code archives;
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=237

I also reduced the camera zoom to .3 in the Xors version to get a similar FOV to the Blitz3d native test.

(WinXP, 2.66GHZ PC, Nvidia Quadro FX 3450 256mb)

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#48]
wich version of blitz3d do you use ? ( I use the 1.98 version )

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#49]

+ latest rev of Xors
http://latest.xors3d.com/

Zethrax(Posted 2009) [#50]
I noticed a couple of improvement updates mentioned on the Xors3d site regarding static meshes, that were posted within the last 2 weeks.

Whether these relate to the relative slowness that Bobysait reports, I don't know; but it might be worth doing a re-test with the latest version.

Revision 319. Aug 1, 2009
- Fixed bug with lights deletion
- Improved speed of mesh loading
- Optimized VRAM usage for static meshes

Revision 317. July 30, 2009
- Dynamic surfaces added (see third argument of xCreateSurface())

Revision 315. July 29, 2009
- Fixed issue with rendering meshes created by xCreateMesh()

xtremegamr(Posted 2009) [#51]
The majority of people who are still using Blitz3D, are people who are happy just to be able to tinker with it...

I'm thinking of switching to BlitzMax, but I haven't yet (I'm too damn cheap ;) ). What I'm finding though, is that I'm content just to tinker with Blitz; I'm not really doing any huge projects.

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#52]
I have both B3D and BlitzMax... and I still think B3D is way better for 3D games than BMax. For 2D, BMax hands down.

But B3D is letting me down now, for one plain reason: Vista (probably win7 too) doesn't have dx7 anymore - it's all "emulated", so what runs great on XP, runs like average to poor on Vista, even on way better machines.

Another problem is the Alpha Z-sorting problem; which I can live with, but for sure would be great to have it fixed;

But the main concern is the DX7 emulation... if B3D moved to DX8 at least (I'm not even asking for new features...!) it would be great.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#53]
bah, for 2d, xtremeworlds lol

if you're lookin to make a 2d mmorpg the easy way hehe

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#54]
B3D moved to DX8 at least (I'm not even asking for new features...!) it would be great.

i think the best alternative, is to use xors3d as Madjack has pointed out, it mirrors the command set, so you can easily convert your projects over. If you use BlitzPlus or B3D compilers for the same projects you dont have to convert any of the syntax. So its pretty much what you are asking for, you just put X in front of all the commands.

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#55]
I've tested the new version of xOrs3D, it seems to be a bit faster than Blitz3D.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#56]
@ Slotman
Bmax + Mini B3D is what you want..and its multiplatform..working very very nice..only thing what will be good to see with mini B3D is Mikhails libraries ported to it...that will be awesome..but there are many other alternatives for Bmax and i found it way faster than B3D, working very well, and feature rich..with Bmax OO stuff, all things turn to be so nicer and better organized .. i really suggest highly BMax with some of stable and feature rich 3D extensions...

Yasha(Posted 2009) [#57]
Mikhail's libraries wouldn't add anything to miniB3D because 1) they're for DirectX, and miniB3D is OpenGL; 2) since miniB3D is written in BlitzMax to begin with, you can do this stuff yourself without a DLL; and 3) miniB3D can use shaders, which opens up whole worlds of possibility even beyond what FastExtend can do. Take a look at the Klepto2 version of miniB3D.

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#58]

@ Slotman
Bmax + Mini B3D is what you want..and its multiplatform..

I took a look at it a couple of days ago... but there are some stuff still missing on miniB3D, for example the Blitz Terrains (which I'm using on my game "Snail Racers"), so at least for this game, it isn't an option. Maybe for future projects (yes, I am considering this option)

But it still sad to see B3D go this way... one of the best and most robust 3d engines I've seen so far :(

only thing what will be good to see with mini B3D is Mikhails libraries ported to it...

I doubt it will ever happen - specially because b3d is dx7 and minib3d is opengl - completly different APIs, so a tremendous re-write is in order :(

But still, there's also minib3d ext, which have shadows and shaders... that ported to the current minib3d would be awesome!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#59]
..well..for sake of additional features, you have miniB3D extended...does everything you want(terrain too) and support for shaders(means shadows and stuff)..very nice, multiplatform and with syntax of lovely B3D...check it out here
http://www.blitzforum.de/worklogs/27/

BLaBZ(Posted 2009) [#60]
Does MiniB3Dext build off of MiniB3D or does it replace it entirely?

I know miniB3Dext is no longer being worked on,

just wondering if minib3d came out with a new release could we still use the the commands in the extended version?

Warner(Posted 2009) [#61]
I believe it replaces it, so I don't think you can update it with a newer minib3d version.
As for terrains, I used this: http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=85741

Lupin(Posted 2009) [#62]
As for Xors3D, I made a small tool to changing the commands names in source bb files (from standard Blitz3D to Xors3D equivalents). This may be useful for the potential of migration. Available on the xors forum: here.

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#63]
Excellent tool Lupin - thank you very much ;-)

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#64]
Does Xors3d replace ALL of the blitz command set?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#65]
far as I know, yes, with addition to some new related to use of shaders, but in typical B3D'ish fashion...nice..

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#66]
StevieG,

I was dissapointed to find, at Xors3Ds current state the mesh collisions system doesnt work.

On their forums in June they were told about the issue and reported back that they wont fix bugs in the mesh collision and recommend dropping the physics system in, wich is a big bother if you dont need a full blown physics system, or are converting somthing that doenst use phycics to begin with.

I think these guys are lucky to have someone like Madjack who is dedicated to making a large project with Xors3D, and reporting alot of bugs for them. They do seem to have a good turn around on most issues. But the collision system is a big deal to me.

However recently when I re-repoted this they replied that they will "try" to fix the mesh collision system. I hope they try hard, as it still reads here as part of the mesh features
http://www.xors3d.com/graphics-engine

But, unfortunatly the mesh collisions not working stopped me in my tracks , I was going to convert my project, but wont have time to wait on a fix.

Other than that, it seems most of the commands are there. These by a decls comparison show up as NOT supported in Xors3D.

ActiveTextures
AddAnimSeq
AnimateMD2
AvailVidMem
BSPAmbientLight
BSPLighting
BufferDirty
CaptureWorld
ClearCollisions
CloseMovie
CopyImage
CountGfxDrivers
CountGfxModes
CountGfxModes3D
CreateMirror
CreatePlane
DirectInputEnabled
DrawBlock
DrawBlockRect
DrawMovie
EnableDirectInput
EndGraphics
EntityCollided
FrontBuffer
GammaBlue
GammaGreen
GammaRed
GetMouse
GfxDriver3D
GfxDriverCaps3D
GfxDriverName
GfxMode3D
GfxMode3DExists
GfxModeDepth
GfxModeExists
GfxModeHeight
GfxModeWidth
GrabImage
Graphics
GraphicsLost
HWMultiTex
HWTexUnits
JoyWait
LightMesh
LoadBSP
LoaderMatrix
LoadMD2
MaskImage
MD2Animating
MD2AnimLength
MD2AnimTime
MeshCullBox
MouseWait
MovieHeight
MoviePlaying
MovieWidth
OpenMovie
PlayCDTrack
Plot
RectsOverlap
ResetEntity
ResizeImage
ScanLine
SetAnimKey
SetCubeMode
SetGamma
SetGfxDriver
TerrainDetail
TerrainSize
TFormFilter
TFormImage
TileBlock
TotalVidMem
UpdateGamma
Viewport
VWait
WaitMouse
WBuffer
Windowed3D

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#67]
MeshCullBox ? It's an Undocumented function ?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#68]
@Kryzon:

Seriously, can you finish a full N64 quality game of your own?
(making a puzzle game or some demo of a spaceship flying around isn't a full game)

Yes, B3D is not perfect, but then other engines out there aren't either.

Yeah, I reckon its possible to do a N64 type game, and then some in B3D. I'm playing around with an evolution of fort block but with an artic and a car, and up to 16 fort blocks, instead of the 4 the N64 title provided you with. Hey, it might not be as slick and as smooth - but I'm one man as opposed to whatever size the dev team was that made Mario Kart on the N64.

I also own BMax and have finished one 2d game within it, I confess I have not tried minib3d within BMax, but B3D does everything I want and more.

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#69]
I think these guys are lucky to have someone like Madjack who is dedicated to making a large project with Xors3D, and reporting alot of bugs for them.

I have found a lot of bugs and some of them of the sort that should have been picked up pre-release. In fact I'm still finding a few that make me scratch my head in puzzlement over how they could get through basic QA.

Having said that, the Xors team seems dedicated to knocking them down as soon as they're reported and that goes a long way towards building confidence. So there are problems (the shonky collision system being one), but I am programming in blitz3d and using a DX9 engine, so to me it's the closest I've seen to Blitz2.0 in all these years.

Xors Team(Posted 2009) [#70]
RifRaf
The problem is that you did not understand Knightmare. He said that bugs of collision system were not fixed because of uselessness of this system for our users. Some of them have asked about collision system (CS) but all of them avow that physics engine has more advantages than CS has. That's all.
And he has never told you that we won't fix those bugs. By the way, they are already fixed.
By the by, why did you buy [Phi]sics if you argue against physics system?

And what's the reason to list those functions of Blitz3d which are not supported by Xors3d? We do not make a clone of Blitz3d. But if some feature is necessary to our customers we will likely implement it.

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#71]
Xors3d

Well, hopefully RR won't take offence (cause that was a rather curt reponse), but can now see his way to using the Xors engine for his conversion.

Myself, now that I'm a long way into converting my codebase to use PhysX, I'll probably stick with PhysX. There's more to handle what with materials, forces and the PhysX object being separate to the blitz object, but I'm looking forward to some advantages too - such as increased speed and nicer explosions, etc.

However I think it's beneficial that Xors should handle vanilla collisions consistently too.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#72]
And what's the reason to list those functions of Blitz3d which are not supported by Xors3d

You didnt notice my post was addressed to StevieG?, Then if you pay a little bit of notice you will see that StevieG has asked specifically about the commands that are converted over to Xors3D.

Now, i think the list for unconverted commands is shorter and easier to digest than the list of converted commands, so thats the list I gave to him.

Didnt mean to offend.

_33(Posted 2009) [#73]
http://latest.xors3d.com/
Revision 345. Aug 24, 2009
- Updated collision detection system

Xors Team(Posted 2009) [#74]
Didnt mean to offend.

Anyway you did and you know how.