Easy Question - RTS

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Easy Question - RTS

BLaBZ(Posted 2009) [#1]
Ok so this is going to sound like an epic failure......
After attempt 3 of my RTS game I realized my expectations far exceeded the design....

Feel free to play the game as far as I got...
http://benlabbe.com/files/blabzrts_0.1.0.zip

Attempt 4...
After reading a lot of books and forum posts I'm more ready to program a well structured game.

I'm redesigning it starting with the Engine/Tools I need to make the game(wish I thought of this before)

Anyway..My question is... What components are involved in most RTS games(command and conquer, starcraft, supreme commander, etc)?

Below are the components I've come up with so far....
Units
Structures
Environments
Technology Levels
AI
Radar
Weapons
Players
Pathing
Multiplayer

Just trying to make considerations for the future so attempt 5 is less likely...

Thanks!!

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#2]
HUD
Selection
Triggers

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#3]
Sounds like you've gotten a good grasp of planning the structure, attempt 4 should progress well!
Just as a 'warning', but I dont wanna be pessimistic, but keep at it with the structured approach, even though, for me at least, some of the 'fun'/'interesting' coding has to wait a bit while the more 'boring' framework is set in place. (Maybe just personal preference though)

Good Luck...

I didn't really have any further additions to your list and Green_Fire's suggestions without possibly going into a 'next-level-of-detail', though just in case here they are:

Map
Player control methods
Stages-Of-Devleopment/Damage (for structures)
'Mission' / 'storyline' (singleplayer only maybe)

Terry B.(Posted 2009) [#4]
Timing is what I have trouble with in strategy games of all types.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#5]
RTS are alot harder than they look, in my experience. If you don't plan well, you get bogged down alot. Seems like you got most of it covered though.

xtremegamr(Posted 2009) [#6]
Anyway..My question is... What components are involved in most RTS games(command and conquer, starcraft, supreme commander, etc)?

If you want to get fancy, try including Technology Trees (or is that part of Technology Levels?)

RTS are alot harder than they look, in my experience. If you don't plan well, you get bogged down alot. Seems like you got most of it covered though.

Yep, especially if you plan on having a lot of units at one time. You'll have to watch your memory usage.

BLaBZ(Posted 2009) [#7]
tree's a part of the technology levels =D
each "branch" is a level

GW(Posted 2009) [#8]
you'll need more than those listed.
better add: scene manager, map manager, UI manager, effects manager, task manger ect..

BLaBZ(Posted 2009) [#9]
A manager? Thats a concept I'm not familiar with, what's a manager?

xtremegamr(Posted 2009) [#10]
A manager? Thats a concept I'm not familiar with, what's a manager?

A manager just handles a certain aspect of your program. For instance, an effects manager will handle all visual effects, a map manager will handle map loading\drawing, etc.