Weapon Model sticking into the ground

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Weapon Model sticking into the ground

A51M15X(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have a weapon model attached to the player and whenever you look down with the camera it sticks into the ground. This is probably really easy to solve, but i have no idea how to fix this.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#2]
Can you post the code?

A51M15X(Posted 2009) [#3]
weapon1=LoadMesh("M4.3ds",camera)
ScaleEntity weapon1,.5,.5,.5
RotateEntity weapon1,0,90,0
MoveEntity weapon1,1.8,-.8,-1

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#4]
Maybe it has something to do with collision? If you even have it..

Play(Posted 2009) [#5]
Maybe this can help ?
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1271
bless :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#6]
I guess the wepon is too big. Just scale it smaller, then move it closer to the camera. In extreme cases you have to scale the Z-Axis a lil shorter because of the lense distortion. This method however also prevents the weapon from sticking into the walls.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#7]
Oh I thought you were talking about not being able to get the gun out of the wall because it's stuck.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#8]
this works better:

weapon1=LoadMesh("M4.3ds",camera)
ScaleEntity weapon1,meshwidth(weapon1)/4,meshheight(weapon1)/4,meshdepth(weapon1)/4 ;divide by 2 for possible better results
RotateEntity weapon1,0,90,0
MoveEntity weapon1,1.8,-.8,-1

Zethrax(Posted 2009) [#9]
Just create a second camera, parent the gun to it, and sync the rotation of the camera to that of your main camera to get correct lighting on the gun.

EXAMPLE: Creating the second camera.

To sync the rotation use the code below, or something similar.

RotateEntity HUD_camera, EntityPitch# ( user_x_pivot_handle, True ), EntityYaw# ( user_handle, True ), 0.0, True

Where HUD_camera is the handle to the second camera; user_x_pivot_handle is the handle to a pivot used for the pitch of the player's head (FPS view); and user_handle is the handle to the main entity used for the player, which is yawed.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#10]
of you could just say

entityorder gun,-1

??? This always fixes my problems

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#11]
An Entityorder <> 0 disables polygon z-ordering. This works fine for quads but for a detailed mesh it looks terrible.

xtremegamr(Posted 2009) [#12]
Um...That seems a bit complicated. I would just render the gun after everything else. Like this:

The above code will render the world before the gun, so no matter what, the gun will never stick through the floor (or any world geometry).

Zethrax(Posted 2009) [#13]
The above code will render the world before the gun, so no matter what, the gun will never stick through the floor (or any world geometry).

You're right. That code wouldn't show the gun sticking through the world geometry. It wouldn't show any world geometry at all, as you haven't set CameraClsMode to disable clearing the background. Also, all that hiding and showing would likely cause problems with interpolation if render tweening was being used for game speed regulation.

Basically, what you're trying to do is equivalent to using a second camera, but with the added overhead of hiding every entity in the world for each render frame.

Here's a practical example of using the second camera approach with a 2 metre long gun. Note that the second camera doesn't introduce any significant additional overhead, as it's just rendering the gun - as would be done if the gun were rendered by the main camera.