Blitz Default IDE problem/bug???

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz Default IDE problem/bug???

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#1]
Just working away on my Waypoint editor, putting in tooltips on all my buttons. I save it and run it. Great, the tooltips work great. Switch my computer off. come back an hour later...

Then i start to work on my end linking function. Code a bit, run it a few times to make sure... Then, i realise, i have NO code for my tooltips. Almost as if blitz wasn't saving my .bb to disc, but mearly just running it.

My code is fairly long, and has 99 functions at present. Anyone else encountered a problem like this? The .bb is 98 Kb in size, and comprises of just over 3,000 lines. This is very annoying... almost like whatever i did the last time i switched my computer on, doesn't exist...

RGF(Posted 2009) [#2]
I found similar problems when I used copy-cut-paste in large amounts of text. Never with just 3000 lines. Have you checked *.bak1 and +.bak2?. I'm sorry to hear it, because your waypoint editor is cool

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#3]
Well, i never used copy and paste. Unfortunelty .bak1 and .bak2 are overwritten because of the running i did to verify my code was working. I didn't lose anything too bad, just the tooltips, which i spent a while working on... Thanks for your kind words though...

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#4]
bah. learn from ur mistakes like i had to dude..

i rewrote that rpg til it was perfect

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#5]
What mistakes? The blitz IDE has a bug in it, if it's not saving the code on compile. Plus the waypoint editor is nearly finished and as far as i can tell, works pretty well.

Just to restate, i didn't lose the entire thing, just about 2 hours work. I back up on a daily basis.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#6]
again. learn from yours, (in this case, the ide's mistake)

:P

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#7]
Are you sure you just didn't save in an other directory ?
I use to manipulate big streams ( with copy / paste and else ), and I 've never pointed this kind of bug...

Eventually, Check for your hard drive for "*.bb"

It arrived me one time to overwrite my own bb code using an other blitz3d ide opened... I did not realised when I saved, that I was overwriting the other changes... So when I closed the first IDE, it just released any change i've made, leaving the second IDE saving the previous version of the code

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#8]
That could have been the case. I have checked my hard disk for .bb's. No luck. Also checked for deleted files, no luck. Ah well, at least i didn't lose much. Thanks for your help. Looks like i'm gonna have to take this one on the chin.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#9]
lol

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#10]
or use my excuse

i was at the pub and then did this bit of whatever (normally after reading a months worth of lol cats)

the old mantra of siera being "save early and save often" seems to be a bit chocolate teapotish

Flemmonk(Posted 2009) [#11]
forgetting DarkShadowWing's helpful comments, i have encountered issues with saving files when I have run out of disk space, or near running out. Additionally if the IDE has crashed it might still look like its functioning but has program memory corruption.

But if you're using a windows machine this was not likely the case as you would have got a message explaining the lack of disk space.

If the code is important and you do not wish to re-type it you could use a file recovery program, if you're running windows GetDataBack or my favourite R-Studio, im sure you can get a demo, it will scan the drive for file headers and then give you a list of recoverable files, I beleive the demo is limited to the size of file but it should be sufficient to recover your .bb file, that is providing the file allocation was not over-written and had to be re-written to another sector.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#12]
Well, i am very low on disc space, so this might have caused this. Anyway, from now on, i'm opening the .bb file again in another app, whilst keeping the original open, to make sure any important changes have been saved.

Also, i did use a data recovery program, but i think shutting down the pc and opening the .bb and browsing the internet wrote over it, as there was nothing to be found, resembling my code.

Thanks again for your help. Last time i'll be caught out ¬_¬

gosse(Posted 2009) [#13]
Use source control software ;)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#14]
I inexplicably lost source code on several occasions when using the Blitz3D IDE. There's certainly a bug somewhere but I never managed to identify a specific cause.

I was never low on disk space, I never copied/pasted thousands of lines of code or anything.

Source control software probably wouldn't help if the IDE isn't saving changes like it should.

puki(Posted 2009) [#15]
I have not encountered a problem that I can remember, but what I do is regularly copy my current .bb file then continue working on the renamed copy. So I end up with a lot of .bb files that are basically a history of my development and also an ongoing back-up - ie when I am adding something major to the code, etc, I start on a new copy of the previous .bb. This idea also lets you branch off in more than one direction (for testing purposes - ie different timing methods, etc) and you can continue on branching off in different directions along the way.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#16]
Thanks Gfk, nice to know i've not gone mad... I will be switching IDE's and taking more backup measures, like coding the actual code, into notepad, before i shutdown for the night.