Fastest B3D Particle Engine?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Fastest B3D Particle Engine?

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#1]
Has anyone created or know of a super fast 3d particle engine for Blitz3d? maybe you have one sitting on your hard drive or know of one that can handle thousands of particles with no slow down.

Any inputs welcome.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#2]
Bah, you guys took too long. I went ahead and bought Particle Candy.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#3]
Particle Candy is reasonably good.
It does have a minor limitation which can be gotten around if you code for it - if the number of vertices or triangles on the single surface exceeds the usual limit (32k i think) then it will crash on renderworld - standard blitz behaviour in this situation, but it is possible to fix this by simply disallowing any more triangles to be created once that limit is reached (unlikely but better than having your simulation crash for an unknown reason and with an untrappable error code)

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks for the tip Matty. Yeah it's really good IMO. I'm using the effects very sparingly and keeping the particle count at the bare minimum but to where it still looks convincing. The smoke and fire fits perfect. I think tomorrow I'll dabble with making some explosions and post a video.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#5]
Lotus kicking out any particle engine for B3D i have seen...and i have all of it..speed and flexibility wise, Lotus is unbeatable in range of given products by now..

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#6]
Where is this Lotus you speak of?

Matty(Posted 2009) [#7]
In the code archives here:

http://blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1654

http://blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1657

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#8]
..if you dont have media for lotus, i can email to you a bit modified version of mine with media and examples...dont trust me and give it a try for yourself and compare speed..

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#9]
Ok cool...shoot me the modified version to my email if you would please. I'm curious.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#10]
..okay..later today i will send it (its 3:40 pm here)..

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#11]
..okay...sent..I hope it helps..

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#12]
..if you dont have media for lotus, i can email to you a bit modified version of mine with media and examples...dont trust me and give it a try for yourself and compare speed..

Ok cool...shoot me the modified version to my email if you would please. I'm curious.

Hi,
Me too ;) Can you please send me this version? eMail : zjp@...

JP

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#13]
..sent to you too ZJP ;)

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#14]
Thx ;)

JP

Hambone(Posted 2009) [#15]
Wasn't someone converting Particle Candy to use Fast Extend library. That would be very interesting to see a demo of :) Hint, Hint ...