IDEal bug

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/IDEal bug

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#1]
A guy on the IDEal forums posted about the "Refresh Definitions" bug but it was never answered. It hasn't really been a problem because I never needed to press that button. I have before and it causes lots of problems. But since I got JV-ODE, I need to see the functions or else I won't be able to do very much. At some point I was able to see some api_ commands, I don't know when or how I did it. Does anyone else know how to get IDEal to show functions right? I've already tried adding them manually to Blitz3D.lng but it still gives me the same error.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#2]
I've only ever had problems when there were conflicts with function names in decls files, but to resolve the issue, just removing/renaming the conflicts didn't solve it. I had to clean out the userlibs folder entirely, making tsure to run IDEal once when there were no decls to load, then put in the 'fixed' declarations.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#3]
I've found the answer to my problem at last!

It seems IDEal has a fit over duplicate names. The first time I noticed this was a few days ago when I saw there were a folder and file in the same place, with the same name.

3D/Particles ; Folder
3D/Particles.bb

So I put the file into the folder and all was fine until I found out I still couldnt see the function right. Yesterday I took out all the Userlibs. In IDEal I pressed the Refresh Definitions button and it worked! Then I decided I'd put each userlib back one by one and when I got to my user32.decls, the Refresh Definitions gave me an error. I was sure it was because of a duplicate name in the file. So I went in and found commands at the very top, with "api_" out of their names' and searched to see if the command was already being used. It turns out that they were already being used elsewhere in the file. Not the actual function name that you use in blitz, but the function that I'm guessing comes from the .dll. Both of the commands were using the same dll function.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#4]
Glad you found it!

I guess that where IDEal considers your own, bb functions and changes the text colour to blue the same as any standard and DLL functions, it was getting confused.

I also found out the other day, that ieven using dstandard IDE and naming a BB function the same as an existing "core" B3D Function (i.e. "LoadMesh" for example, can overwrite the original ones' useage in that particular app.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#5]
I'm so happy I found it. As I was trying to learn the Protean IDE, it knew that it just wasn't going to be the same. It didn't popup the function/command as you typed, or show you all the undeclared variables in red. It just wasn't the same at all. Also, as I was using Protean, I was thinking about IDEal and how much easier it was in almost every way. If I would have not been able to use IDEal anymore, it would've been like losing family, so so tragic. I had a big sigh of relief after I fixed it.