Santa's Slay

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Santa's Slay

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#1]
I lost all of my old projects and code... one game I created for a Blitz contest way long ago was Santa's slay. I'm just wondering if anyone happens to have a copy of that still around? I just want to show my wife for sh*ts and giggles

Cheers

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#2]
No luck on the program, but a bit of digging found me the ORIGINAL WEB PAGE for it, including screen shots (for those who weren't around then).

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#3]
Ahhh... too bad archive didnt keep the zip :(

GfK(Posted 2009) [#4]
You could try contacting Idigicon as they archived all the competition entries to CD at the time. Whether they'll still have it or not, I dunno.

big10p(Posted 2009) [#5]
As a last resort, you could also try looking for it on P2P/torrent. Most things find their way on there, even stuff that's completely free to download, such as my own Juicy Fonts. :/

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#6]
Well, couldnt find it on torrent so I requested it from idigicon... maybe they have it... thanks for the suggestions gFk and big10p

NobodyInParticular(Posted 2009) [#7]
I just looked on my old hard drive, and I found that I still have it, the file is called santaslay1.7.zip. I can email it to you if you want, it's around 5.8meg, no webspace to upload it to at the moment.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#8]
skully can you upload it when you get the email so those of us who weren't arount to enjoy it when it was out can get it?

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#9]
If you send it to my email address in my profile, Nobody, I'll host it.

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#10]
LOL This looks like an awesomely cool game!

If you can get this uploaded, I would love to check it out.

WERDNA

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#11]
James, can you please send it to LineOf7s for hosting Please? I think 5.7megs will be a bit much for my email.. I think 8)

Thanks in advance!

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#12]
Actually, out of curiosity can you send me the file as well via email. I'm not sure of the gmail limits but I'd like to know if I can receive it. Anyone that wants to check it out is more than welcome.. it was produced start to finish in a month

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#13]
For anyone wondering, no email yet.

NobodyInParticular(Posted 2009) [#14]
I just sent the file to both _Skully and LineOf7s...

Apparently gmail doesn't allow attachments with a .EXE in them anymore, even if they are in a zip. I got a failure notice, and this link after trying to send the file to _Skully

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#15]
maybe send it as a .rar?

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#16]
Received the email - thanks.

Uploading it right now, but I thought I'd better run it first; sadly, was greeted with little more than an "Illegal Memory Address" error. Awwww. (XP SP3)

I'll upload it anyway, and see if anyone else has better luck.

It'll be at http://downloads.lineof7s.com/SantasSlay1.7.zip

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#17]
same here :(

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#18]
Hmmm... strange.. the submission worked I know that... but I dont know if there was an earlier version than this one...

I've got a request into idigicon to see if they have it on file and they have gotten back to me for an approximate time of submission. Hopefully I got it right and they can find it...

Warner(Posted 2009) [#19]
I tried it, vista home, and it works. Maybe you need to change the display settings in 'startup.ini'?

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#20]
Much tweaking of text files (including startup.ini) has thus resulted in... nothing. "Illegal Memory Address"

I can confirm that the Skullster had the presence of mind to error-trap access to the MD2, Graphics and Sounds directories, as it nicely tells us if it can't find something in them (eg if the folders are renamed). So that leaves one of the other folders (likely) causing the issue (Music and Models - but without knowing what it's looking for...)

The (probably fruitless) investigations continue.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#21]
I'm on Vista as well but its not working for me either no matter what configuration changes I make :(

GfK(Posted 2009) [#22]
Are you trying to run an executable?

There was a Blitz3D update that sorted a DEP (Data Execution Prevention) issue in Windows. If you compiled prior to that (which you will have done), then it won't work in Vista or XP unless you turn off DEP first, or recompile in a newer version of Blitz3D.

I know you can turn DEP off but I don't know how. Well, in truth, Back to the Future 3 is on telly and I'm watching it, so can't be bothered to look. :D

big10p(Posted 2009) [#23]
Dont have Vista but on XP its start->control panel->system->advanced->performance->settings->data execution prevention

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#24]
Well, I turned off DEP for the exe but it still doesnt work... unfortunately I no longer have the source for it for recompile :(

GfK(Posted 2009) [#25]
Just tried it on Vista and it works fine for me.

Have you tried running as Administrator (right-click, run as admin), or turned off UAC?

Warner(Posted 2009) [#26]
Maybe try making another blitz3d program with the same resolution, that loads the game's graphics. Maybe it helps sorting out what causes the error. It is not the music, since when I rename the music folder, the program still runs.
EDIT: or try a different computer instead.
EDIT2: It might be the texture format. I've had problems with this before, on other machines. Maybe you could best resize them to a power of two, and save any bitmaps as 24-bit bitmaps.

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#27]
To my inordinate surprise, I had DEP turned on. Having turned it off and rebooted, I fired up Santa's Slay once more and.... nothing.

Awwww...

Running on Vista and not on XP seriously boggles the mind. Just one more reason to shake my fist at Vista. ;o) Bloody Vista.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#28]
ok, I downloaded running xp and ran and... it runs perfectly! but vista has another epic downfall... I have noticed this before so I always compile one version for vista and one for xp.. idk why there is a difference... same compiler right? but somehow they only work on the version I compile them on