How, pray tell, do you blur-i-fy?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/How, pray tell, do you blur-i-fy?

thelizardking(Posted 2009) [#1]
So I'm working on this game, and I want an area, prolly about 200x75 pixels in diameter, to be blurred, BUT I want the blur to be like the Mac OS Leopard (yes, I'm a Mac user, sorry to let you guys down) menu bar or even like the title bar on the Windows Vista Aero windows.
So, do you think y'all can help me out? The blur can either be written to a sprite, an image, or just written right onto the screen, I can (and will!) work with any of those. Just whichever is fastest. It's a 3D game (hence me the posting in the Blitz3D forums), so if the blur is drawn right to the screen or to an image, then I'll just slap a semi-transparent sprite on top of it, so I can color it to suit all of my Martha Stewart-esque colorizing dreams. But if it's written to a sprite, I'll just EntityColor it. Unless it's faster to color it right in the function. Ha, anyways, thanks for reading my ramblings, and if you can help me out, please do, thanks ^^

Ked(Posted 2009) [#2]
(yes, I'm a Mac user, sorry to let you guys down)

Just to make sure, you do own a Windows computer, right?

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#3]
hmm what methods do you need for blurring. there are many in the code archives

I suggest reading the rbg values into an array for fast access and then using some kind of blur formula to 'blur' it onto an image/texture/sprite

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#4]
Just to make sure, you do own a Windows computer, right?

Let it GO already. Any OS is fine, as long as it's the one you get the most out of.

@thelizardking, Nate the Great's right, you should check the codearchs; there should be plenty of goodies in there.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#5]
Any OS is not fine - if you are trying to use blitz3d as it's Windows only it's not much use to anyone with a Mac...

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#6]
It might be quicker to copyrect and downscale the area. There is a very fast scaling copyrect available. It uses multiple copyrects to scale. Overlay this downscaled sprite/texture over the one you want blurrer and it should do the job. Make sure they are obviously scaled the same :)

thelizardking(Posted 2009) [#7]
@Ked & Matty: Yup, I have a MacBook w/ Mac OS X Leopard and Windows XP installed (you gotta love Boot Camp) and a Windows XP desktop in my room.

@Like everyone else: Alrighty, sweet, I'll scrounge around the archives and see what I can find. I shoulda looked there first, ha.

Thanks guys!

P.S. Who else saw the new Star Trek movie?!?

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#8]
!!!!! I was just screwing around with trying to create a blurry effect and got this !!!!!

The downside is the texture has to be to the power of 2 and same for the graphics width and height or at least confine the cameraviewport to a power of 2 resolution :(

This is set at 1024,1024

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#9]
thats amazing GIA

Im adding that to my programming fx file!

put it in the code arcs!

Ked(Posted 2009) [#10]
Let it GO already. Any OS is fine, as long as it's the one you get the most out of.

Any OS is not fine - if you are trying to use blitz3d as it's Windows only it's not much use to anyone with a Mac...

Thank you, Matty. :)