Removing texture blur

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Removing texture blur

LamptonWorm(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,

I read in an old thread it isn't easy to remove blitz3d standard texture blur, any idea if that's true and if so what the methods are to load textures in and keep 'em nice and pixelated?

There was a 'fix by Si' mentioned and a 'DLL by Tom' but haven't quite located them yet!

Cheers,
LW.

Warner(Posted 2009) [#2]
I suppose that would be mipmapping ? It is part of the texture filters (no 8). I think you can remove it with this before loading/creating textures:
ClearTextureFilters
TextureFilter "", 1

or create the texture with the app. flags set:
tex1= LoadTexture("test.bmp", 1)
tex2= CreateTexture(64,64,1)

LamptonWorm(Posted 2009) [#3]
I'm not sure it is that, looking at some similar posts, as removing mipmapping from a textured sprite doesn't leave a nice sharp pixel image on the sprite I'm afraid.

Also I seem to get an outline on the sprite which is also a bit strage! The outline colour appears to be my png alpha colour.. but only 1 pixel thick around the player, the rest of the image isn't drawn, as expected.

Cheers,
LW.

Warner(Posted 2009) [#4]
Do you mean this thread ?
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=40848
The commands that are in that .dll are also present in Devils shadow system. Maybe you'll have more luck downloading that instead.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=64142

LamptonWorm(Posted 2009) [#5]
Thanks Warner, I'll take a look.

Cheers,
LW.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#6]
I've found that if you don't set the flags 16+32 to clamp the U and the V, then some of the texture pattern seeps through.

Vorderman(Posted 2009) [#7]
Anyone still got a working version of the DX7 dll?

Vorderman(Posted 2009) [#8]
Never mind, just bought the complete Fastlibs package instead.

LamptonWorm(Posted 2009) [#9]
...so using fastlibs it is easy enough to switch off filtering and get nice sharp pixely sprites?

Cheers!
LW.

LamptonWorm(Posted 2009) [#10]
Hi,

I have the fastlibs demo, but it appears you can't use it to make the texture on a sprite pixel perfect? Perhaps it is user error :)

Also the outline of my sprite has an outline that I can't shift (I tried the clamp params but no joy), any ideas?

(snapshot here - )

Cheers,
LW.

Vorderman(Posted 2009) [#11]
Looks like your alpha channel or mask is not perfectly correct - is it filtered or is it pixel-sharp?

LamptonWorm(Posted 2009) [#12]
Hi,

I'd like it to be pixel sharp, but I don't know how to achieve that.. so by default it is filtered (blitz3d sprite), afaik?

The images are .png exported from sprite forge, painted onto b3d sprites btw.

Cheers!
LW.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#13]
I`ve been hoping that this would be added for years, I even emailed Mark about it once but sadly I did not recieve a reply :(

If it was left out of B3D for a valid reason then fair enough but it would be nice to hear from the man himself. Maybe Mark will see this thread and give us an answer.

Jason.

FlagDKT(Posted 2009) [#14]
To have pixelperfect sprites in fastlibs you have to use right texture sizes.
64x64,128x128,256x256,512x512 and so on.

LamptonWorm(Posted 2009) [#15]
Ah, thanks I'll try that.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#16]
Yeah, reason being blitz (gfx card?) will try to resize them if there aren't.