Is SC compatible with MiniB3D ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Is SC compatible with MiniB3D ?

semar(Posted 2009) [#1]
All,
do you know if SpriteCandy can be used with BMax MiniB3D module ?

I ask this, because I like the OOP of BMax, but also the joy of using a library like SpriteCandy, which is made of Blitz3D commands.

Thanks for your attention,
Sergio.

kfprimm(Posted 2009) [#2]
You can just use Max2D.

semar(Posted 2009) [#3]
Yes, but Max2D has no such a ready command set like Sprite Candy.

iamdaman13(Posted 2011) [#4]
So is SC compatible with minib3d? I've been waiting for an answer for 2 years now.

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#5]
(I haven't got SpriteCandy, but if I'm right in understanding it's a B3D source library...)

-- Out of the box: no, you will need to rewrite at least a few things to match the updated syntax, at the very least.

-- Any per-pixel stuff, if it has it, will likely not work, as miniB3D doesn't use the same kind of texture buffers as Blitz3D.

-- 2D-in-3D (i.e. using textured, fullbright quads and polygons as drawing elements to take advantage of alpha/scaling/rotation) will work in the same way.

Do note however that 1) miniB3D is slightly slower than B3D, so the performance will be noticeably less, and 2) performance will be dramatically worse than Max2D, since Max2D accesses OpenGL directly rather than faffing about with aligning things against the camera in 3D space and calling RenderWorld and so on.

All in all, a conversion is most definitely possible, but you'd do much better to spend that same amount of effort on simply building the SpriteCandy commands out of Max2D.

iamdaman13(Posted 2011) [#6]
Thanks for the reply! If I pick up spritecandy, I think I'll just use it with blitz3d for now. Would porting spritecandy over to blitzmax be worth the effort over using it in b3d?