Cubemaps

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Cubemaps

Knight #51(Posted 2009) [#1]
This thread is for uses of cubemaps. I think they could be used on scopes when you aren't zoomed in. To just look at the scope's green/blue/red ball and see a projection of what's in front of you. What do ya'll think?

stayne(Posted 2009) [#2]
I'll have what he's having.

puki(Posted 2009) [#3]
You are having a giraffe?

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#4]
I'll have what he's having.

A ban?

stayne(Posted 2009) [#5]
Hmm...on second thought I'll just sit here and enjoy my beer.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#6]
You'll seriously need to increase your explanation. Most of the threads you post are either offensive, or make no sense.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#7]
I don't think a cubemap would be necessary. You need a "screenshot" of what the scope is seeing, not a 3d representation.
I think you'd be better CopyRecting the center of the screen about some square texture size (256x256, perhaps), and then scaling this texture up so you have that refraction effect (that objects appear distorted, bigger when you see a lens from far away - distance from eye to scope when you're not holding the gun ready to take a shot, that is).

Knight #51(Posted 2009) [#8]
@Kryzon

So you mean to create an extra camera, parent it to the gun, set the zoom value a bit freeky, then copyrect what it is seeing to a 256x256 texture, then assign the texture to the ball?

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#9]
@ gizy.. no need to texture it to a ball. Setting camerazoom cam,2 should do the trick, then just render it just like any other camera. I assume this is for rumbling darkness, am I right?

Knight #51(Posted 2009) [#10]
To be honest, nope, but it was one of my failed ideas for the project. And as soon as I get it to work (I'm trying different ways right now), I will be happy to give it to the project :D

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#11]
Best to copyrect. Else you'll have a flat viewport.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#12]
oops I messed up on my post earlier... do camerazoom cam,.3 or something like that. Then draw a circle around it to mask out the edges and look like a scope.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#13]
oops I messed up on my post earlier... do camerazoom cam,.3 or something like that. Then draw a circle around it to mask out the edges and look like a scope.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#14]
Hey, that's not a bad idea Nate.
When you zoom to a small value, the field-of-view would get "compressed" or whatever and it should give the appearance of round lens. Render that, copyrect it to a texture and there you have it.