blitz3d + virtualbox/VMWare

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/blitz3d + virtualbox/VMWare

jtassinari(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hello there,

i was wandering if anyone has ever tried to use Blitz3D on a "virtual instance" using VirtualBOX or VMWare.

I created an WXP Pro virtual machine, but it looks like i'm nt able to run or debug the built nor the samples coming with the blitz3d demo distro.

any suggesion?

cheers,

jTassinari

Panno(Posted 2009) [#2]
in vmware fusion running on mac/osx some sources will run .
but i allways get a blackscreen if i print something on the screen after renderworld and before using flip .

ala
renderworld
; print fps <- give me a black screen , without it runs ok
flip

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hi,
Run with Virtual PC 2007, but only in text mode. :-(

JP

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#4]
hi, I have the same problem
I create a vm for XP from Vista Home Basic, jus to try something and no 3d graphics mode are reported, so, as ZJP only text mode seems to work.
Virtual Box says that it supports DirectX 8 and 9 and OpenGL

I'm new in VirtualBox, about one day, any one know if it is possible to meke blitz3d work on VirtualBox, 3D not just text mode??
thank's
Juan

Mahan(Posted 2009) [#5]
VirtualBox have added 3D support during the last few months (recently OpenGL 2.0) but AFAIK it's only OpenGL support. Blitz3D will not work.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#6]
I'm no expert, but its quite hard to emulate the processing power of a 3D graphics card in software. Blitz3D kind of benefits from some graphics capability processed in the silicon version of 3D hardware (;-)

Rroff(Posted 2009) [#7]
Virtual Box has the ability to run 3D on the native host adapter without emulation and relatively minimal overhead... tho its still a good bit slower I believe than running it native.

Been trying to setup similiar lately myself as quite a bit of my development software doesn't work under vista/win 7 64bit :(

Rroff(Posted 2009) [#8]
Ah if you install the guest additions (mount the ISO) in windows XP from safe mode you should have full access to DX8/9 as well as open GL in Virtual Box 3.

EDIT: Thats said I still can't get blitz3d stuff to work in 3D mode inside VB3.

EDIT: Looks like it only handles DX8 and 9:

Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of memory)

WildCat(Posted 2009) [#9]
My Blitz3D app runs in VirtualBox ok, but only using 'Graphics' command (2D mode). It means also we couldn't use FastLibs as any other stuff that work in 3D modes only... But what do you want to run in vBox? It's kind of server app, right?