GUI programming

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/GUI programming

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#1]
I hate it.

I'm using SpriteCandy, which is a nice lib, but even so, it's still time consuming and fiddly to get all the functionality up and running and everything just so on the screen ;-(

Think this is one of the downsides of B3d - the work intensive nature of coding versus time saving drag and drop features in other dev engines (e.g. Unity).

Knight #51(Posted 2009) [#2]
what if i shoot you first??

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#3]
what if i shoot you first??

and what if I tell you Jesus is nothing but a figment of your imagination and an iron age myth?

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#4]
wow, if this becomes another religious fight style post, i think i am going to shoot myself!

MadJack
i agree with you. Back when i was messing with the B+ demo, i remember doing some gui tests and getting really frustrated with how long it took. :)

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#5]
I love making games but the only thing about programming in gerneral that I abhore is GUI programming... usually I hardcode everything for gui :p thats just me

Im with Jerome Squalor on the religious fight stuff...

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#6]
Agreed GUI's are a pain in the arse and a complete chore to code. I spent a couple of months coding my 3d one. I guess it's worth it in the end though :)

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#7]
I also hate it and end up getting bogged down, programming extra functionality than i really need.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#8]
I LIKE doing GUIs! Sorry folks, but I do. ^_^ Ever since I tried B+, I've loved the idea of doing my own GUI stuff with B3D. I'm currently working an a nice GUI for Sprite Studio, a side project of mine; I've dubbed it "GBLUI" (say: G-Blue-I) since it's primarily blue. The buttons do a nice "pop-up" gradient effect when rolled over, I have graphic windows, window buffers, and the windows themselves can be rolled up & unrolled by clicking the title bar. Next up I'm working on checkboxes & radio buttons. Wee! ^_^

Knight #51(Posted 2009) [#9]
Madjack,

I have nothing against you. I'm just making fun of your signature. Besides I wasn't even thinking of the religous fight. You think what you want about Jesus. You will see where you end up in the end and who you will have to face..

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#10]
I wish there was a better guide to WinBlitz3D other than the help file (IMO the descriptions that come with it are very dim).

There are some things I want to know if it's capable of doing, like "right-click menu lists" (the list that appears when you right-click anywhere), and somehow to edit the "reliefs" in forms (where you want it to be elevated or hollower, defined by rectangle areas).

It also isn't clear how you can mix the Draw commands to draw stuff
inside the windows.

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#11]
You will see where you end up in the end and who you will have to face..

Go jump in the lake.

Regards the other responses (apart from Adam's - wierdo! ;-), thanks for letting me know I'm not alone ;-) I guess I feel that setting up buttons, sliders etc is a sideshow compared to things like AI programming - (although I enjoy AI programming the most when it's implementing general behaviours and being surprised at what emerges, rather than setting specific outcomes).

Knight #51(Posted 2009) [#12]
Go jump in the lake.

If God's willing....I won't be heading in that direction.

Ked(Posted 2009) [#13]
I think this thread should be finished. It derailed pretty nicely.

Knight #51(Posted 2009) [#14]
I think this thread should be finished.

Me too.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#15]
ok so for those of you that for some reason love GUI, what is the trick?

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#16]
Trick? What trick? I just program it, period. I mean, to ME, it's fun, because I like the idea of creating my own custom interface that doesn't rely on Windows or anything else, it's just BY me, FOR me.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#17]
ok so for those of you that for some reason love GUI, what is the trick?

I'm not the person you addressed the question to - because I hate GUI development - but I wrote a really nice editor for mine which lets me create new controls, drag them around, parent them to other controls, preview all the button actions and window events, and that did make things a lot more enjoyable. Still pretty low on the enjoyment scale, but a definite improvement.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#18]
I also love GUI and Tool development. If I may suggest you, I think the trick is to have the easiest and most practical way to set up your GUI - meaning, a visual editor! something you can drag your windows, place and size buttons, gadgets and panels manually.
Having to do it all by code is just unthinkably tiresome.
With that in place it'll be much easier to set up your GUI.

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#19]
a visual editor!

Yeah - I wonder if someone hasn't got one hanging around for SpriteCandy somewhere?

Actually I've gotten pretty good at positioning elements etc.. I typically draft up the screen in a drawing package, move elements around till it looks ok and export bitmaps and pixel measurements from that.

It's actually creating the underlying functionality that's time consuming I find. For example, I'm currently working on a dialog screen with 5 sets of cascading buttons. Each button's contents and colours change depending on previous button set presses. I don't have a way of automating this, so I'm coding all this functionality and it's getting a little unwieldy. Hard to see how an editor could write this?

Danny(Posted 2009) [#20]
regardless if you got a visual editor (which obviously can save you lots of time) programming a proper gui still takes a serious amount of dedication, if you're making an editor, don't be surprised if you spend more time on making a proper stable gui, than programming the actual logics behind it.
try to keep it simple.
good luck ;)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#21]
MadJack, have you try Alpha Gui??
It has entire editor where you can compose whole thing, test it, change on the fly, graphically connecting pages with buttons and so on..it really rocks and its really simple to use..I have rigget it with Mikhail fastext library for drawing (because original was affected by postprocessing), so with fastext it rocks..Im not messing with it since im not using B3D, but long as i did, it was unbeatable..and eventually I will convert whole thing for Xors3D(also rigged with fastext for Xors3D), but right now im out of time..all in all, GUI Editor/lib is an excellent..

nrasool(Posted 2009) [#22]
Hey Naughty Alien, Do you have a link for Alpha GUI, googling for that returns nothing for me

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#23]
@nrasool
I dont have a link since Alpha GUI was donr by Jeppe and he seems to be dissapear as well as his web page with other of his stuff..but I do have whole source of Alpha GUI and editor(source too) for it at home, so if you want i can email it to you, with documentation so it will be very easy to follow thing..

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#24]
It's actually creating the underlying functionality that's time consuming I find. For example, I'm currently working on a dialog screen with 5 sets of cascading buttons. Each button's contents and colours change depending on previous button set presses. I don't have a way of automating this, so I'm coding all this functionality and it's getting a little unwieldy. Hard to see how an editor could write this?

No in-built cascading GUI's in the following, but FastImage by MikailV is pretty swish for button recognition:-

K(Posted 2011) [#25]
[Removed by K]

Last edited 2011

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2011) [#26]
Oh, Jesus.

K(Posted 2011) [#27]
I'm not sure if that is a joke... Regardless I apologize.I was stuck on a frustrating error trap when I browsed the forums for a break and found that.Just ticked me off. So, sorry mates. Guess I demolished any street-cred I had :0 I could remove it if you dudes want. Let bygones be bygones...

Saying serious stuff never eally clicked with me.Sorry.
-K

Abomination(Posted 2011) [#28]
O.K

Last edited 2011

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#29]
Let bygones be bygones...
You do realize that was a two year old post you took issue with?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#30]
Whoops this was one tip that really was not worth posting ;)

K(Posted 2011) [#31]
Sorry, it won't happen again.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2011) [#32]
Yeah, it was a joke. I should have smiley'd it.

K(Posted 2011) [#33]
Sorry guys, I was in bad mood. Feel like an idiot now. By the time I noticed the date I didn't entirely care.Shouldn't have posted anything since I had nothing constructive.