Adding touchlines to a sports field

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Adding touchlines to a sports field

Fry Crayola(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have a flat rectangle, composed of two triangles, which I use as the surface of a football field. It's textured using a grass texture.

I want to add the line markings to this, and I'm not entirely sure of the best way to go about it. This is my first time really fiddling about with 3D so it's all new to me.

I'd rather not just have the mesh created and textured, because different pitches can be different sizes and I'd like to cater for that rather than having every pitch be a uniform size. So the problem is - given a textured rectangular surface, how would I go about adding touchlines etc. to this?

Thanks

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#2]
i thought all football feilds were the same size, regardless of being american football or soccer (football to the rest of the world)
some of the strips of grass may be bigger than others perhaps to cater for other sports but the playing filed would be the same

if you are thinking of making different sized pitches for 'official' team stadiums then stop right there EA beat you to the licence of team name/logo's/players/stadium names and shapes for the NFL american football and whomever for football football

just stick to the basics

an american football field is measured in yards and is iir 100 yards long from end zone to end zone or 120 including i forget and whatever yards long regardless of which stadium its in
so get your grid set up that way, scale the players appropriatly and all will be peachy so long as it feels like you are moving one yard not 10 in each step

and a football field should be standard across the board unless its just a kick about jumpers for goalposts kinda thing

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#3]
i remember some gene hackman film where he was a small college basketball coach (netball in the uk) and they made it to a (semi?) final at a more prestigeous campus and the players were in awe of the size
he brought them back down by measuring the height of the net
"its the same height as the ones back home as is everything else on this pitch" or words to that effect

Fry Crayola(Posted 2009) [#4]
A soccer pitch has variable sizes - there are extremes, and it must be rectangular, but as long as it's 90-120m long, and 45-90m wide, it fits the criteria.

International football specifies exact dimensions, but my game goes beyond international football so variability will be necessary. And as much as EA have the rights to some stadia, nobody does or can have the rights to a particular size of football pitch. :)

Whether or not it's a good idea or not isn't important anyway. The underlying question still needs an answer, and I'm sure whatever principles apply can be used again and again. :)

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#5]
you could multi texture couldnt you?

Andy(Posted 2009) [#6]
I'll second Nate here. Look into the Blitz3D\Samples\Blitz 3D Samples\mak\xfighter folder and see a practical example.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#7]
I would draw the lines, using the vertex commands. The way, you won't suffer texture blurring.

Fry Crayola(Posted 2009) [#8]
Ross, that'd be done by setting up vertices for each line, essentially a series of rectangles, and texturing them with a white grass texture?

I'll take a look at that xfighter sample too, thanks Nate/Andy.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#9]
A soccer pitch has variable sizes - there are extremes, and it must be rectangular, but as long as it's 90-120m long, and 45-90m wide, it fits the criteria.

do you mean you can have one 120 long and 45 wide or do they work on some kind of fixed ratio that never changes no matter how big or small it goes (like the A size paper is larger than the next but ratio wise identical)

And as much as EA have the rights to some stadia, nobody does or can have the rights to a particular size of football pitch. :)

true a piece of grass 120m by 90m looks kinda like all the rest, what i was getting at (i orginaly read touchline as in touchdown and thought of nfl) was some stadiums host more than one sport so its playing field would be larger than another dedicated to just the one, so you might have wanted to show some american stadium from above with its set sized nfl markings but an oval track for running with enough space for a baseball diamond tucked in
and as asthetic as it might seem, i wondered why you wanted to do so unless you were tryng to get the look and feel of a real stadium, which just leads you into murky waters

the only smaller than football pitches i could name without looking em up would be
school, normally marked in one vile colour with 2 or 3 tennis courts within and a basketball in a 3rd for when they decide to make the lads play netball
5 a side
pub team
and sometimes they litrally are 'jumpers for goalposts'

Fry Crayola(Posted 2009) [#10]
Yup, you can have a 120m long, 45m wide football pitch. The only definitive rule is that it must be longer than it is wide, and if it's used for major games it must be 100-110m long, 64-75m wide.

So what I'm interested in doing is making it possible to support different sizes without having to create different textures for each possible pitch size - essentially, tiling or drawing the lines onto the pitch entity, and what the best way to go about this would be given I'm virtually new to 3D.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#11]
Yeah, that is done by creating the vertex points, then joining the points together making up the line shapes.

If you look at the tron type example, it shows the way to build meshes, else i can post an example if you need.