How to create a futurist cell shading effect ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/How to create a futurist cell shading effect ?

patmaba(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,

I woul like to create in real time the following cell shade effect :

http://www.js3d.co.uk/flv_nokia.html

Have you an idea how to create this effect withe primetive blitz3d standard mesh ?

thanks

patmaba

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hm... This looks like an interesting concept. Sadly, I have no idea how to implement Cell Shading in B3D... I think it's some sort of tracing routine along specific edges. I dunno. Good luck though!

patmaba(Posted 2009) [#3]
I hava foun in caode archive the code to do the cell shade.

But have you an idea about the light settings to do the same light ambience ?

Mortiis(Posted 2009) [#4]
There is no cell shading in the video you have sent patmaba. I'm guessing that you are referring to the "Glow Mapping".

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#5]
In that video, cell shading (At least the concept of outlining) is very much present. Not hugely noticable, but you see it when the camera turns, the outlines of each building are always outlined (And glowing :o) )

There are a few methods. One uses a spherical environment map: A square texture, with a black outlined circle, that almost touches the edge.

The other is creating a copy of the entity, colouring it black and scaling it up slightly.

patmaba(Posted 2009) [#6]
Mortis : The outline is visible on all meshes So i suppose that s a cell shade with a light blue or light green outline.

I suppose a glow effect for the light ambiance that is a, isn't it ? But i'm not sure.

original mesh translucide + copy original mesh in Cell shading( with outline light blue as tron effect ) + Glow effect = effect i want ??

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#7]
Okay. The translucent (semi-transparent) effect is easy: just use EntityAlpha(). For Cell shading, try Ross C's example, but instead of a black circle, use the light blue color your want. Finally, for the glow effect... That's a little more difficult. Maybe you should examine the [a href=http://fastlibs.com/libraries.php#fastextension]FastExtension[/a] DLL... It's not free, but it should give you what you want, and more.