Microsoft Compound Document File Format

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Microsoft Compound Document File Format

Sacha(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hey there. Again.

Here's the plot :
I want to read thumbs.db files.
At first I tought of using windows dlls to read thumbs.db files, and even asked for help for that here, however after finding out it requires to juggle with quite a few windows shell & co libs, and that those arent the same on XP, Vista and Win7, I ended up writing my own thumbs.db reader.

I found the following doc about the MCDFF format :
http://www.forensicswiki.org/images/5/5b/Compdocfileformat.pdf

It is very complete, which is a good thing because thats basically all I could find.

So the reader seems to work fine but I have some problems, so If you know about that format or like to read technical docs, can you tell me the following :
- How do you get a "short stream" position in the file ? The doc says offset = SecID*Short_sec_size, however if I use that, a SecID between 0 and 3 will give a position offset pointing in the document header, which is obviously not a short stream container.
- I can read most of the thumbnail jpgs of the file, but couldnt find a consistent way to find out the name of the picture file that thumbnail comes from.

Anyone can give me help or point me to a good place to ask for help on this matter ? I tried MSDN but no one replied so far.

Wings(Posted 2009) [#2]
Wait a min.. DB format is the help format for programfiles isent it :)

simular to html.

Never ever gona use it-. better of using html.

Subirenihil(Posted 2009) [#3]
thumbs.db stores all the thumbnail images used to display in explorer or various other file browsers.