Buying B3D now?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Buying B3D now?

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#1]
Quick question, is there much point in buying B3D nowadays? there seem to be quite a few issues with Vista and such.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#2]
Absolutely, Blitz 3D was and still is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I`d certainly buy it again myself. I am also running Vista and have never had any problems.

Despite there beihng very few updates for it these days (which is a shame in my opinion) it is still a very stable engine that has plenty of third party libraries that do pretty much everything that you could want.

I say go for it!

Jason.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#3]
I am with QuickSilva.

I have never had any problems with vista. In fact it runs much faster on vista than on my xp machine with almost the same specs.

If you have bmax it might be good to stay with max3d though. It comes down to what you want to do.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#4]
..B3D still rulez...real beauty for fast prototyping your game(if you working on something bigger) or covering pretty much everything you want for typical casual market...too bad its just windows..

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#5]
i know to a new buyer it might seem limited being dx7 and released in 2001 (having said that C was released in the 60/70's)
but if it were to stop working and the only fix was a critical rewrite (which i doubt would happen) there is always max+minib3D
real beauty for fast prototyping your game

too true, without blitz i doubt platypus would have been made unless anthony was willing to hand the game over to a c coder as dark basic at the same time was never aimed at 2D, the same can be said for alot of gfx artists and moddelers who took controll of their dreams instead of just being the artist, c can be seen as too much of a commitment to some people (it is for me)

John Blackledge(Posted 2009) [#6]
I spent years with C and fled to B3D when I found it due, as you say, to fast prototyping through to full product in one environment.
Now with the new extras: Blitz Bass Studio, Fast Extensions, physics libs, I'm still sticking with it, and would gladly pay for it again.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#7]
Yep, great purchase. I don't think dx 7 will be going anywhere for a while. I reckon it would break quite alot of software. But as MR T! says, blitzmax + minib3d is there.

Wings(Posted 2009) [#8]
I use vista !

Blitz3d works as good as on XP.

the only problem i had is that vista handles color 0,0,0 as transparent. so i set color 1,0,0 fixes this.

herse a pic of latest creation.

cyberyoyo(Posted 2009) [#9]
At the moment there's nothing as easy and powerful for quickly producing a 3D application (provided you can restrain yourself to dx7).
If you want to make a quick and clean 3D game don't hesitate.

grindalf(Posted 2009) [#10]
If I lost B3D in some way that I couldent recover I would definatly buy it again.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#11]

If I lost B3D in some way that I couldent recover I would definatly buy it again.

well unless the webhost/brl wipes the downloads off this site you can redownload the installer for each registerd product in the accounts tab

so as long as you have access to the internet and a valid account logged in going whole hog to rebuy something is redundant
and if you had no internet access you would be up the creek anywas as its not pysically sold

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#12]
and if you had no internet access you would be up the creek anywas

B3D is worth burning a backup installer copy to a CD-R. Heck, B3D is worth backing up on TWO CD-Rs, as long as you don't start passing 'em around & go all don't-give-a-crap-about-licensing-or-respect-for-people's-property-and-hard-work. ^_^

Seriously, I'd flip without B3D. Easy, powerful, fast, it's EVERYTHING I could ask for. If you're making a game that needs more than DX7 can supply, then you're probably working on a large-scale, up-market product, in which case you'll probably have a team of developers working with you anyway, so simplistic products won't be necessary. If you just want to make a kick@$$ game as easily as possible though, then HECK YEAH, go B3D.

grindalf(Posted 2009) [#13]
I was just trying to prove the worth of blitz3d. I know that i can get it back quite easilly and i have it backed up in so many places that the whole island would have to burn down before i lost it(with me as i have it on my gig stick in my pocket) :)

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#14]
Here's a screen of something I used Blitz3D with, a little demo for a 1k line code game blitz3D contest:

And making Adam's words mine:

Seriously, I'd flip without B3D. Easy, powerful, fast, it's EVERYTHING I could ask for...

... and I wouldn't get as far as I have with general hobbystic game development if it weren't for Blitz3D. That B3D Pipeline, also; that's some huge improvement in scene editing and allows for a fluid pipeline of conception -> development -> testing.
And you know what else? B3D allows me to have a completely artistic vision of the game and only worry about graphical and gameplay aspects, keeping coding, albeit as complex as you want, to a level where you don't really have to worry about it that much or don't need others to do that work for you. That way you can easily be producing every aspect of your project, from audio to graphic and gameplay\programming, keeping it truly yours and without bias from your original design.

Seriously, I'm grateful for it.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#15]
Here's a screen of something I used Blitz3D with,

Hey, that's some nifty-lookin' water, Kryzon, with the reflections & everything... Any chance of the related code, or is that a DLL effect?

OR better yet, at a guess... I'd say you used a second hidden camera with a smaller viewport, positioned as far below the water as the main camera is above it, then used CopyRect() to paste the rendering onto the water's texture... Am I close?? I'm really interested in water effects.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#16]
Can u release that kryzon? thatd be very nifty to look at when 1 is upset :P like now... ><

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#17]
Thanks guys, you don't know how nice it is to hear these things. I don't want to really deviate from the topic's line of thought, but anyway:
I managed to "break" the contest's deadline while uploading it to the web and delivered the game 1.5 hours late, so it got disclassified from the competition (it even had money prizes =/ ). So you can see how I feel about all the hard work taken into it.

Like Adam said, the water is just a cubemapped texture (256x256), applied to a segmented mesh (created in a modelling application), and that "ripple reflection" effect you can easily get from perturbing the normals of each of the vertices of that mesh in senoidal directions, which required a bit of testing to get it right. That same senoidal frequency I also use to wave these vertices in the Y axis for that "physical" ripple effect too.

Back on to the topic:
If it weren't for B3D I wouldn't have learned all the techniques and artistical needs to accomplish this work! :D

Cya.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#18]
Sorry, comming into the topic a bit late but here's my two cents.

Yes buy it! You can have lots of creative fun, make money or just have somthing to do on a rainy day.

I wish Mark would have made BlitzMax with integrated 3D like he did Blitz3D, I just love it. Simple to the point and fast on modern hardware.

If you are considering it.. buy it.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#19]
Ur quite welcome, kryzon ^_^ thank u for releasing the source. its a beautiful piece of work alright ^^

~DS~

PowerPC603(Posted 2009) [#20]
I'm a little late too to post something, just because my laptop was defective for 2 weeks.

Anyone who is thinking about buying a game developping environment should buy Blitz3D.
Why?

Because it's easy to use, has a great community to help you if you run into a problem and it's cheap.
You can do almost anything with this programming tool.

Something I created within 2 weeks:
http://users.telenet.be/vge/downloads/MazePack.zip

Source-code is included and you can use/modify/share it freely.
It's far from finished and it's not optimized, but it works perfectly.

I was once looking for source-code to generate a 3D maze, where you can walk through.
I found some code for VB6 and some rendering package to use with VB6, but it was WAAAAYYYY slow.
A maze of only 10x10 was running at 3fps on my machine.

I grabbed the maze-generating code and pasted it in B3D and modified it to generate much bigger mazes.
The first tool I created was the MazeGenerator.
It simply asks how big your maze must be.
Just enter anything from 2 to 60 and hit enter.
It can generate much bigger mazes (just tried a maze of size 500), but Maze3D will crash with a MAV, as you'll read below.
It generates a bitmap picture of the maze and saves it as Maze.bmp.

The second tool is MazeConverter.
It scans the bitmap and generates a Maze.dat-file (just a plain textfile) which converts the bitmap into some code which defines the layout of the maze.

The final tool is Maze3D.
This tool reads the Maze.dat file and generates the 3D structure of the maze as one big mesh. Keep in mind that the maze should be 60x60 or smaller (enter a value between 2 and 60 in the generator), otherwise the mesh becomes too big and generates a MAV, as DX7 can only handle meshes of 65535 vertices per mesh.
It also generates the floor and some spinning coins for you to find and pick up.
Press spacebar to disable gravity and press z or s to go up and down respectively, so you can see the maze from above. Hit spacebar again to enable gravity.
Use the arrow-keys to move forward/backward/left/right and use the mouse to rotate the view.

A maze of size 60 runs at full speed (60fps) on my machine, while the other rendering-engine for VB6 was only running at 3fps for a size 10 maze.

A tip: you can also print the Maze.bmp on a piece of paper and solve the maze by hand. It has only one way to get to the exit.

I couldn't have done this in another programming tool as fast as I did it with B3D.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#21]
Yo all. Lets say we help out Kryzon. This game has the potential to be an AWESOME community project! :)

~DS~

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#22]
Don't take this as an offense shadow, but I wouldn't like that. Not only do I want to make my projects solo, but community projects are just out of the question (think PLASMA).

Quoting Isaac Newton: "If I had stayed for other people to make my tools and things for me, I had never made anything."

That's why I like B3D. Because I can do almost anything of my projects (as you've seen in that demo), and don't need to input other people's opinion if I don't want to. Not only that, I get all the credit for what I've made instead of having to share it with someone that might've not made so much as I did, or wasn't as interested.
That initiative was kind though :)

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#23]
Sorry.. :(

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#24]
What was PLASMA? ^o_o^ (ears pricked up in curiosity)

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#25]
LOL

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#26]
search project plasma fps, if the thread didnt get deleted in one of the many server moves and other accidents

iir it was in the early days of b3d or atleast the first year or two with most new posters stating lofty goals of a fps or an mmorpgomgwtfbbq
so someone decided instead of a dozzen doomed to failure one man bands why not have people pool resources and i believe that suffered much the same fate but with added design by committee

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#27]
It was pretty organized for what it was (a community project!), with to-do lists, lots of code for the various parts of the engine. As it happens with most community indie projects, it was frozen.
There were various threads about it. Here's the one I think was the most "recent": http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=39819