Need help with terrains

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Need help with terrains

Swifty(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have got to the point in my project that I need to start adding terrain, and have found a nice terrain builder ( http://www.pnp-terraincreator.com/ ). But I am not understanding how to actually export/import a b3d mesh as a terrain.

Any help would be great.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#2]
That software seems to be compatible with .B3D exporting.
So you should build your scene, export it, then simply load it with LoadMesh or LoadAnimMesh (the latter would allow you to access its childs, if the software exports it that way. It may also combine everything into a single mesh which would make LoadAnimMesh useless).

But I feel like your doubt is more related to operating the software itself rather then the programming language?

Swifty(Posted 2009) [#3]
Yeah, i don't think I exported it correctly, as it exports it as a number of files, not just one .b3d file. When I Loaded one of the files into Blitz3D as a mesh, I can`t see it.

stayne(Posted 2009) [#4]
In PnP I believe you can opt to export into chunks or one big mesh. Your chunks may be either way too small (try scaling up the mesh(s)), high up or down. Try creating a floating camera so you can fly around and look for it/them. Keep in mind a mesh terrain consists of a ton of polys so you might want to look into LOD.

Swifty(Posted 2009) [#5]
Well I don't know what I`m doing wrong. I can`t get it to work. It keeps exporting a bunch of files. Loading one of the files does nothing.

stayne(Posted 2009) [#6]
Email me one of the files and I'll take a peek.

Swifty(Posted 2009) [#7]
I got it, it was loading much higher than the camera, duh!

Thanks guys :)