Blitz3D and Vista; Computer says 'no'

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz3D and Vista; Computer says 'no'

GfK(Posted 2009) [#1]
Just had to reinstall Blitz3D for something, but I can't get anything I've written in Blitz3D to run. Absolutely everything I try crashes with "Memory access violation", even with Debug on.

I am simply trying to use LoadTexture with a PNG image with the alpha flag (2) set. I tried every version of Blitz3D back to 1.96, which still doesn't work but I get "texture does not exist". The texture does exist on the hard drive - I checked and double checked. It just won't load; the handle is still 0.

I tried some of the samples and they worked but I don't know why.

Is there something pertaining to LoadTexture that I need to know about in order to get Blitz3D stuff to run correctly/at all under Vista?

Spec: Athlon 64 X2 @ 2x2.6GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 8500GT 512MB, Vista Home Premium (Note: UAC=off).

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#2]
I remember having this problem before... unfortunately I dont remember the solution. did you try a simple hello world?

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
did you try a simple hello world?
Well, that doesn't use LoadTexture.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#4]
When you say you're doing it with the alpha flag set, do you mean just the alpha flag (2) or the color and alpha flags (3)? You're not supposed to use the alpha flag without the color flag, but for some reason, it only actually crashes on Vista.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#5]
Did you try to use 3 instead of 2 as the flag? Although 1 and 8 are said to be set automaticly (and therefor it wouldn't matter whether you say 2 or 3), I had the same problem, on XP with a rather picky cheapo notebook graphics card and DX 9.

Copyrect still didn't work with alphaed Textures, even with flag 3, but at least it doesn't MAV anymore. BTW it's the same with CreateTexture.

I hope this helps, and maybe that's one for the FAQ.

EDIT Gabriel was faster.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#6]
ClearTextureFilters() + alpha flag = MAV on Vista

GfK(Posted 2009) [#7]
That looks familiar..... brb!

[edit] Yep, that fixed it. Thanks!

Wings(Posted 2009) [#8]
Well if you get it to work in vista it shold also work with all other windows automatic :)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#9]
Well if you get it to work in vista it shold also work with all other windows automatic :)
It won't work on NT.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#10]
It won't work on NT.

wasnt that cos NT had a gamerless version of directX?
i know when gamers migrated to XP (NT kernal) alot of games borked, due to them being coded to not work on NT cos it was an office machine or just some NT dont like my game bug thingie

kinda like how a500+/a600's hardware change killed compatibility

GfK(Posted 2009) [#11]
wasnt that cos NT had a gamerless version of directX?
DX3, I think.

John Blackledge(Posted 2009) [#12]
I agree with GFK.
NT = DX3.
Put a warning on your products.

smilertoo(Posted 2009) [#13]
B3d stuff runs ok for me in vista64.