How to get input from guitar hero guitars with PC

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/How to get input from guitar hero guitars with PC

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#1]
I was just wondering how I can use blitz to get input from a guitar hero guitar connected to my pc. Does blitz treat it like a joystick?

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#2]
That's a very good question.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#3]
Unfortunately, I do not have a good answer.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#4]
id say yes it will treat it as a joystick but with alot of buttons missing
but as to which buttons i have no idea without having one
plus would they map the same if you got a ps2 one via a ps2/usb adapter
the ps3 if wired would be usb by default
360 ditto but probably miss-mapped just to make it harder for people to make pc games with em

and if they are wireless youd have to get a 360 adapter and or hope they make a ps3 one too

if you have a 360 wireless and a games for windows wireless adapter give it a go with joy hit etc this has a better out of the box chance of working than any of the others

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#5]
Try this, it should tell you if you get anything. Plug in your guitar controller, and see if the buttons get any response:

SetBuffer BackBuffer()

While Not KeyHit(1)

Cls

Text 0,0,"Keyboard: " + GetKey()
Text 0,15,"Mouse:    " + GetMouse()
Text 0,30,"JoyStick: " + GetJoy()

Flip

Wend

End

Warner(Posted 2009) [#6]
Maybe this documents helps? http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/06/360s-guitar-hero-ii-guitar-works-in-windows-frets-on-fire/

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#7]
so if that is true how would blitz pick up the joy 'hat' and the x y and z axises?

I will try it as soon as possible, maybe a week unfortunately, thanks for the advice. :)

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#8]
Plug it in, if windows recognises it, see how it appears as a device ad if it appears as a controller device, go with Adam Novagen's suggestion.

If Windows doesn;t recognise it as a controller device, then liekly you'd need drivers.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#9]
aye just plug it in and give it a go
what have you got to loose? (apart from perhaps shelling out for a games for windows wireless adapter if the axe isnt cabled)

there are 4 or 5 fret buttons (not read that link yet) and 4 fire buttons on a ps/360 pad, no great leap in logic as to which buttons are going to be used ;)

but as ps3 usb pads use one button layout and 360's use another the otehr buttons might map differently
eg 360 dpad is a hat, yet its 4 buttons for the ps3 and triggers are Z(?) and 2 independant buttons on the ps3

edit:
Fuzz @ Apr 6th 2007 4:07PM
Coming soon . .. Youtube video of someone playing flight simulator with a guitar.